BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellow M5ers. Tonight I came out of my friend's apartment to find my driver's side door smashed in with a nice note on my windshield from a woman saying that she bumped into my car. I don't have access to a camera at the moment but tomorrow I'll upload some pictures.

It looks like she hit smack just the driver's side front door panel. I couldn't tell much more because it was night and was in a not well-light area for checking for minor details. I drove the car back to my place and noticed the door didn't seal properly (road noise was more apparent) and my window would not roll all the way down.

I wanted to know how I should handle it and what I should check for? I've never been in an accident (Thank God!). I'm thinking about not calling her tomorrow as it's Easter but maybe I shouldn't hold off from contacting her.

My assumption is to take the car into the dealer and have them look at it. I'm concerned about whether or not anything else was damaged... any structural problems, problems that could show up later, things underneath that were damaged, etc. Like I said I don't have any experience with this sort of thing so I'm looking for some advice.

By the way this happened in an apartment area parking lot so I doubt she hit the car going too fast. I think she must have backed up into my car as it was parked perpendicular to a row of parking spots that angle in approximately 30 degrees.

Thanks in advance!

-Keith

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Simple...Call her and ask for her insurance card I.D and bring the car to a reputable shop of your choice and get an estimate on ALL damaged/ dinged parts and get everything replaced and let the shop deal with her insurance...jmho

Btw your lucky she didn't bounce on you i commend her for that...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Laidback. Any experience with this sort of thing in the past? Any types of damage I should be thinking about that maybe isn't obvious?

I was happy she left a note as well. I kind of don't want to bother her on Easter but at the same time she may be anxious/wondering/expecting my call tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Yes but the [email protected]$tard didn't leave a note...it was on our previous Z4 roadster...the whole door caved in (window didn't event brake), took about a week and everything was replaced brand new from the shop...call her first thing in the morning...btw no structural damage or whatsoever and when i trade it in for the Mcoupe the dealer didn't even notice it... for SoCal i bring all my cars and friends/ members aswell to http://candccollision.com/ the work and customer service is top notch!

Thanks Laidback. Any experience with this sort of thing in the past? Any types of damage I should be thinking about that maybe isn't obvious?

I was happy she left a note as well. I kind of don't want to bother her on Easter but at the same time she may be anxious/wondering/expecting my call tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I had a door replaced on another BMW once, and some rocker panel repair also. The rocker repair proved to be far more complex than the door, which was a piece of cake. So - don't sweat a door replacement if it comes to that - I'd just make sure the paint job is perfect.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes but the [email protected]$tard didn't leave a note...it was on our previous Z4 roadster...the whole door caved in (window didn't event brake), took about a week and everything was replaced brand new from the shop...call her first thing in the morning...btw no structural damage or whatsoever and when i trade it in for the Mcoupe the dealer didn't even notice it... for SoCal i bring all my cars and friends/ members aswell to http://candccollision.com/ the work and customer service is top notch!
I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully no one was physically hurt in the incident (and I can only assume no one was in my incident either). Will give her a call tomorrow and upload some photos.

Happy Easter everyone. :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd just make sure the paint job is perfect.
Oh man I hadn't even thought of that... Am I now going to have a much brighter door!?!? How do I make sure the paint job is perfect? Is there some time of technique they should use?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
The car was parked aswell... and +1 thank god no one was hurt...
I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully no one was physically hurt in the incident (and I can only assume no one was in my incident either). Will give her a call tomorrow and upload some photos.

Happy Easter everyone. :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post some pics. I own a body shop and can point you in the right direction as to what needs to be done.
Thanks Anthony, will do. This is why I've loved this board all through the years... Nice people who are there to help and share in the enthusiasm.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Keith. As others have said, contact her and get her insurance information. Then just contact them and go through a process of findind a reputable bodyshop in the Atlanta area to repair it. I am sure the car will be back as good as new. Titanium Silver isn't a hard color to match so just be thankful that the woman left a note. Please let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hear about this Keith. As others have said, contact her and get her insurance information. Then just contact them and go through a process of findind a reputable bodyshop in the Atlanta area to repair it. I am sure the car will be back as good as new. Titanium Silver isn't a hard color to match so just be thankful that the woman left a note. Please let us know how you make out.
Hey TC. Okay cool, good to know. I guess she was in the holiday spirit. :) Do I have to pay some sort of deductible in these kinds of situations (sad I don't know these things, I know)?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Don't bother with a BMW dealer.

Ask for references for the best body shops in Atlanta from your fellow board members.

Paint can be matched perfectly- No need to worry about that!

You will clearly want a new door shell...

I'd call her asap. Thank her for leaving a note. Apologize for calling on Easter. Take it from there.

GL

A

PS You might need to let your insurance know about this- by your questions you need help. I hate having them involved, but you could get screwed by HER insurance company.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would give her a call tomorrow even though its easter. She is obviously a considerate person and wants to help and be compliant in this situation because she left the note. I would call your BMW dealership and see what body shop they recommend and take it to that body shop for a quote. Valet backed my x5 into a pole a few years back and thats what I did and the body shop they recommended was BMW certified and fixed the car properly. They took care of all insurance issues and it was more less hassle free.
Good Luck!!

PS: I highly recommend NOT going with a body shop the insurance recommends. They will most likely recommend the body shop that will be cheapest for them. This will only result in complications with the repair.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Give her a call today ...

Be sure they replace the window mechanism (rails and all) ... NOT try to straighten it, if bent. (In fact, I would personally replace it at any cost, while in there.) Otherwise it will break somewhere down the line and it isn't cheap to replace. Don't ask me how I know, but it was NOT on my M5.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
PS: I highly recommend NOT going with a body shop the insurance recommends.
Also, insurance adjusters have been known (DUH!) to get kickbacks from body shops for bringing them work.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. What about driving the car... Is it safe/okay to drive my car for the next few days?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Thanks everyone. What about driving the car... Is it safe/okay to drive my car for the next few days?
I would think so. (Make sure the interior lights go off when you exit the vehicle).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Don't bother with a BMW dealer.

Ask for references for the best body shops in Atlanta from your fellow board members.
Hey there! One of the best body shops in Atlanta is Magnum Collision and they specialize in BMW's....they are actually in Marietta. I've had them do some minor things and they are awesome. They have a great facility and are the utmost professional. Classic Collision would be my second choice.

http://www.magnumcollision.com/

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
She may want to pay cash rather than go through her insurance company. If that is so, make sure you get something in writing where she admits liability and that she will pay for the damage.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts