BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following my recent on going electrical problems, I was on the way back from a BMW indie minding my own business to be hit by a shocking driver who did not slow down or look at a give-way crossroad today :grrrr:. He hit me at 30MPH which gave my car a real shunt sideways. I saw him not stopping at the last second so sped up otherwise it would have been serious full driver side and rear door damage. I cannot believe how fortunate I was. His car was a complete write off. I jacked my car up, after getting the drivers details and video recording his full admission of liability as well as witnesses details, and took the wheel off to find the damage to some sort of suspension arm. Can any of you guys help with what the bent part circled is? I tried realoem but cannot tell what suspension part it is? Thanks in advanced.

RealOEM.com   BMW E39 M5 REAR AXLE SUPPORT/WHEEL SUSPENSION

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I bet more that one arm is bent. If his insurance is paying for this, I would be getting a complete rear end (New)... When i say complete, I mean every since suspension piece.

Reactions: M55555 and mgdmb

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I bet more that one arm is bent. If his insurance is paying for this, I would be getting a complete rear end (New)... When i say complete, I mean every since suspension piece.
Lol you think? I will get that part #14 changed first and see. How would I know if there is more damaged as visually everything else was fine, is there such thing as a full geometry check of the car (after I change that part)? Will full laser wheel alignment be sufficient?

No his insurance won't be paying, insurance settlements in the UK are an absolute nightmare, could take months to settle. Plus even though I am not at fault my insurance premiums will increase on renewal. And they love writing cars off that are over 10 years old. He will be privately paying.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
It will be hard to tell with the naked eye if the damage is not obvious.

Alignment only goes so far. Remember the impact the chassis of the car had. It's not just that arm.

Think of it as an earthquake. Just because there aren't any cracks on the walls, that doesn't mean the foundation hasn't been compromised.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As you can see in the image below, the force of the collision has given me positive toe aka toe in on the rear driver side wheel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be hard to tell with the naked eye if the damage is not obvious.

Alignment only goes so far. Remember the impact the chassis of the car had. It's not just that arm.

Think of it as an earthquake. Just because there aren't any cracks on the walls, that doesn't mean the foundation hasn't been compromised.

That's very true. What shall I do? I very much doubt a BMW stealership will be able to check if every rear suspension part/chassis is undamaged? How about my car put on a body shop jig to check the geometry of the whole car?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Checking the geometry is a good start.

If you can't get everything new, then at least look into get a complete set up from someone who is parting out their car. That includes, diff, subframe, arms etc...

It's your car and your call.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,230 Posts
Chances are a lot more things are bent and/or out of alignment. My car ate a semi truck tire at ~75mph and while from first look it looked like the undercarriage panels and front bumper was the only damage, I ended up getting a whole load of parts replaced that were bent/damaged/leaking.

Take it to a frame-shop and make sure the frame didn't get bent, chances are if that arm is bent, your whole subframe is out of alignment. The stress travels down-stream to other components..

Look at the bright side- could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Unlucky mate !! Main thing is that there were no injuries !

Where in London was this by the way...

PS : Your car must sound pretty loud !!

·
Registered
257 Posts
That really sucks, at least the guy seems to be being a good sport about it. Someone hit me a few years ago in a similar accident and drove off. Luckily I had a beautiful CCTV shot from a nearby shop, and coincidentally drove past the guy's house so I got his address!

I say replace the arm but get under there and have a good look. The subframe bushes probably took a big part of the hit, but the subframe could easily be bent. Check around where the subframe meets the chassis as well, that it's all straight. I'd suspect the hub as well and possibly some driveshaft/diff troubles if the wheel took the thump.

Just make sure you don't go beyond the guy's tolerance level, as if he pulls out and stops paying you then have to go down the insurance route and risk the car being written off as you say. Plus of course it looks very dodgy when you start claiming for an accident that happened some days/weeks ago. Might be worth contacting the police now just to get a crime number as a reference point. Then if he does bail and the insurance company look at it later on you can say "well...I was busy, working abroad" or something like that :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unlucky mate !! Main thing is that there were no injuries !

Where in London was this by the way...

PS : Your car must sound pretty loud !!
Lol yes VERY loud! I am from west London Ealing/Wembley sides. What about you? We should meet up sometime.

I am actually in Birmingham at the moment so that's where the collision happened.

I hope it's just the arm I need to replace, but will see how it goes. Plenty of parts available on eBay, even rear subframe, suspension etc.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Lol yes VERY loud! I am from west London Ealing/Wembley sides. What about you? We should meet up sometime.

I am actually in Birmingham at the moment so that's where the collision happened.

I hope it's just the arm I need to replace, but will see how it goes. Plenty of parts available on eBay, even rear subframe, suspension etc.
I am in South Kensington so not too far really. Yeah sure let me know when you are back in town.

As others and you have stated making sure there is no real chassis damage is important....but its good to see that arm bent so badly, as hopefully it took most of the energy of the impact.

Good Luck

·
Registered
333 Posts
FH5,

Will he be paying for the body damage as well? The location of that dent looks to be in a particularly tricky area to repair. And, I assume there is damage to the door as well. Before you order anything, I think it's imperative that you have everything thoroughly checked out by a collision repair shop that specializes in unibody/frame repairs. To do something now on your own only to find out things are much worse (I hope not) will only complicate things when you try to get reimbursed for the damages.

And, having the police at least prepare an accident report (as someone else mentioned) will at least give you something to stand on if the other driver decides to balk at paying for the damages, which could happen even if you have his statement and witness accounts.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Damage looks to be minimal, was it a sub-compact that nudged you right above wheel center line? The lower swing arm is beefy so shouldn't be affected.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Lol you think? I will get that part #14 changed first and see. How would I know if there is more damaged as visually everything else was fine, is there such thing as a full geometry check of the car (after I change that part)? Will full laser wheel alignment be sufficient?

No his insurance won't be paying, insurance settlements in the UK are an absolute nightmare, could take months to settle. Plus even though I am not at fault my insurance premiums will increase on renewal. And they love writing cars off that are over 10 years old. He will be privately paying.
Wow. Seems awfully foolish.

Your frame is almost surely tweaked. All those parts attach to the subframe... Just jacking it up and looking from the side for "what looks bent" is astonishingly naive.

Something else is going on with insurance here IMO. I've never heard of uk insurance issues like this......what's wrong with getting a write off for 4k and fixing it yourself??

What will happen is that the driver will pay for the first (cheap and incomplete repair) and then you will give up or he will refuse and the car will be sold damaged- disclosed perhaps, perhaps not.....

Just feels like and odd, sad and ignorant situation....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We'll see what happens after I replace the bent suspension arm. I'm not being naive just doing the obvious things first then will get full geometry check to see if I need anything else needs to be replaced and an inspection of the rear subframe. That's why I am seeking you guys' advice. I never plan on getting rid of my car. You don't understand how the rubbish insurance system works here, a nightmare.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We'll see what happens after I replace the bent suspension arm. I'm not being naive just doing the obvious things first then will get full geometry check to see if I need anything else needs to be replaced and an inspection of the rear subframe. That's why I am seeking you guys' advice. I never plan on getting rid of my car. You don't understand how the rubbish insurance system works here, a nightmare.
...which is why you need to have your Beast checked out "BEFORE" you attempt to fix anything. And, is the other driver going to pay for the body damage? The repair bill for bodywork can easily reach four figures, unless you're going to go the "ye olde drill/slide hammer and bondo route (which I hope you are not). :nono:

However it plays out, I hope you can get everything repaired to your satisfaction with little to no hassle and as quickly as possible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts