BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have only had the car for a couple of days and other than the drive down from NJ, I have only driven the car once. My wife on the other hand keeps making up reasons to go and drive the car.
She was very luke-warm on the idea of getting a "9 year old car", she wasn't even crazy about the looks. All that was just fine with me, I figured she would keep her hands off it and drive her A6 or the minivan. The day i got back she had to take the M5 out to the pharmacy. 5 mins later I get a phone call, seeing her name on caller id made my heart sink. I thought the worst had happened. She had a simple question, How do I know that car is warm enough. I had recently returned from my only drive so I said the car is warm enough.
I thought nothing of the question, turns out she was asking so she could give the car a little kick in the ***.
She returned with a smile on her face saying she LOVES the car. Its fast but she doesn't feel "its going to get out of control" like her last "fast car (1994 RX-7 Twin turbo). Turns out she red lined in both 1st and 2nd. I was besides myself, I still have not red-lined the car.

Long story short, I need to hide the key or soemthing, may be make up a story about something wrong with the car.

How do you guys keep your other halves away? (from the car)

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Sounds like you have a keeper!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
makes me feel good knowing my wife can't drive stick. lol

My wife felt the same way about buying mine a few months ago but when I pulled into the drive she fell in love (even though she can't drive it)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I try to make it a point to date girls who can't drive a stick lol; that's funny though :p

·
Registered
252 Posts
My wife doesn't drive a manual, so I'm safe for now!

·
Registered
991 Posts
You never redlined the car yet?? Sounds like she wears the pants... lol j/k man, cute story. This is a good thing.. just think, it's like a license to mod without worrying about getting the slap-attack from the other half!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Truth be known, at my house, the M5 is the wife's daily driver. We upgraded her from an E39 540i 6 speed, so she has had lots of experience driving a manual. The original clutch on the 540 lasted at least 135K, amazingly. I do have opportunity myself to let the M5 stretch it legs now and again without too much convincing her to give me the keys.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
My wife doesn't drive a manual, so I'm safe for now!
lol, my wife will ONLY drive a manual. She hates automatics.

The best solution to OP issue is to trade her car on a fun-to-drive manual tranny car.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, my wife will ONLY drive a manual. She hates automatics.

The best solution to OP issue is to trade her car on a fun-to-drive manual tranny car.

She asked me this morning "What was the last model year of your car, and how much can I sell my Audi for"

I dont know if I can afford to have 2 M5s in the driveway. The maint costs are very low (fortunately) on the A6

·
Registered
832 Posts
She's got a 300kw 135i to play with!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You are so lucky to have a spouse who appreciates and enjoys such a toy! How cool would it be to have 2? Life is all about passion and it sounds like she understands...

·
Registered
282 Posts
My wife can't drive a manual either; she has been dropping hints that she'd like to try again to learn. Looks like we may have to upgrade to upgrade the 2 litre auto Golf to something with a little bit more poke. Any suggestions listened to, but not necessarily acted upon

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
You never redlined the car yet?? Sounds like she wears the pants... lol j/k man, cute story. This is a good thing.. just think, it's like a license to mod without worrying about getting the slap-attack from the other half!
My thoughts exactly :hihi:

·
Registered
84 Posts
My wife can't drive a manual either; she has been dropping hints that she'd like to try again to learn. Looks like we may have to upgrade to upgrade the 2 litre auto Golf to something with a little bit more poke. Any suggestions listened to, but not necessarily acted upon

A guy I bought some M5 bits from had a simple solution, and his wife couldn't drive a manual.

He got her a AMG C55.

One hell of a quick shopping car.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Use the code option in the onboard sreen...

Works perfect,my wife gave up guessing the code!:7:
This could backfire, if she gets desperate enough you might come out to find she's tried to hotwire it :7: I guess that means we would get a "New Ignition DIY".

I simply turned off traction control and broke the back end loose intentionally, with a few well placed curses and grunts. Then I told my wife how long I had been looking for the car and how tragic it would be if it "somehow were damaged". She hasn't even asked for the keys since...

·
Registered
376 Posts
off topic but does your wife track the CB-1 with the stock 400cc motor and suspension or has there been some upgrades? The reasoon I ask a buddy has a j-spec CBR400 which it becoming impossible to get spares for. Just trying to gain some info.........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts