BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

When I was at the BMW dealer getting the break-in service done on my new M6 I asked about the iPhone 4 cradle. Surprise I was available and according to the parts guy "They came in yesterday". So ... they now exists. I've got one in and the phone fits like a glove. Review to follow after I use it for a bit.

Kent

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It charges the phone and it "seemed like" the signal strength was better but ... that could be my imagination. I will know more later after I use it for a few days.

Cost was $164 + tax here in NoCal at Steven Creek BMW. They are notorious for high prices so ... it may be cheaper elsewhere. I bought it because a) they had it in stock and b) I was there so ....

Part number is 84 21 2 199 289 if you want to order it or get a quote.

·
Registered
358 Posts
FogPuppy
Do you have any type of case or bumper around your phone? With the previous adapter for the iphone 3 versions it was a tight fit without any case. I would be concerned that the fit for the iphone 4 would be tight as well and require the removal of the case/bumper which is required to help with the antenna reception. Inquiring minds want to know.
Ken

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It is a very tight fit. I had to remove my bumper. I'm going to try it with a set of film covers I have from Zaag. Will let people know the results.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installing was really simple assuming you have the smartphone option on your car. All you do is press on little "arrow" button at the top (see the picture above). The "blank" cradle pop out and this one snaps in. If you don't have the smartphone option ... I suspect you are SOL (or you have a lot more work).

But ... I can confirm after using it for a while it does not seem to be all that impressive.
1. It does charge the phone even if the car is off. That is useful to me as I make a lot of calls form my car.

2. When in the cradle it is really hard to get to the mute on the phone (you can but it's not easy). Since BMW didn't see fit to put a muting capability as a button or iDrive setting this is annoying for a lot of con calls I mostly listen to as car noise annoy other people.

3. It DOES NOT improve reception even though the parts guys said it would. This is not surprising since the iPhone does NOT have a external antenna connection.

4. It does not connect it "iPod function (I knew it would not) but supposedly they are working on a multimedia insert that is supposed to work with the iPhone (and a lot of other devices) and combine the phone features with the iPod features. It is not released yet so I have no idea what it will really do ...

So all in all unless you really need to charge the phone and don't like regular cigarette lighter chargers or you want to charge with the car off then ... it may not be worth it.

Some one has to be the guinea pig so ... it was me this time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what do you mean about the ipod connection?? doesn't this connect the ipod function of the iphone 4 to the car?? like the ipod/usb adapter that was an option for this m6??
The current cradle do not hook up the music from the iPhone. In theory the new multiple-media adapter will do this but ... Time will tell.

·
Registered
358 Posts
what do you mean about the ipod connection?? doesn't this connect the ipod function of the iphone 4 to the car?? like the ipod/usb adapter that was an option for this m6??
There are 3 different adapters for the iphone 4
1. Connects phone to car antenna and charges phone
2. Functions of #1 plus basic ipod functions of playing music
3. Functions of #1 and #2 plus shows cover art and video on the iDrive screen. This adapter is only good for cars produced after Sept '10 when iDrive was updated again.
Sorry I don't have the part numbers
Ken

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There are 3 different adapters for the iphone 4
1. Connects phone to car antenna and charges phone
2. Functions of #1 plus basic ipod functions of playing music
3. Functions of #1 and #2 plus shows cover art and video on the iDrive screen. This adapter is only good for cars produced after Sept '10 when iDrive was updated again.
Sorry I don't have the part numbers
Ken
I hate to say but none of them will connect to the external antenna. There simply is no antenna out pin on the iPhone connector (stupid Apple).
And AFAIK the only one available now is the one I have. Would I buy it again .. probably not. When I got it I expected #2 style behavior based on what I was told by the parts guy. If it exists that is what I want. I don't care about Video in the car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Part numbers

After some looking on german web sites, here are the other two

84 21 2 199 389 (basic)
84 21 2 199 390 (multimedia)
84 21 2 199 392 (coverart, etc.)

The first and second work in all the M5/M6 cars, the last one is only for the new cars with the combox (late model X5, 5er, 7er, X3). Anyways hope that helps. The second and third are not available, the parts computer shows none in the US at this time.

Noushy

Reactions: kgati

·
Registered
270 Posts
Cradles

Yes, with the third cradle, but only on the newer models with the combox (the single data cable, no audio cable setup). My X5 was built in September right before the combox upgrade. If your car can do email and coverart then yes to video too, but need the newest cradle (the one ending in 392).

Noushy

·
Registered
358 Posts
re: part # 84 21 2 199 390 ,, so this will transfer my ipod library to the car?? and will the phone work still through the car??
silly this isn't readilty avail.. cuz by the time it is out,, the new iphone5 will be out.. it's only a few more months away before it is released for At&T
Part ending in 390 will let you access your songs on your iPhone. The phone will still use bluetooth for its connection. I'll be honest, I think the first to adapters are almost worthless. I had one for my iPhone 3 and rarely used it. Found it easier to just buy an iPod and but all my music on it. It now stays in my car all the time hooked up. No more fishing phone out of pocket and placing into adapter. Most of the time I forgot the phone was in the adapter and had to go back to car to get the phone since its hidden in the arm rest.
ipod in M6.jpg
Would reconsider purchasing adapter if are cars could be updated with the newest version of iDrive that would let you watch videos and have the coverart.
Ken

·
Registered
358 Posts
were there any m6's produced after the '10 sept ??? i wouldn't think so,,,
isn't a possibility bmw will make the idrive update avail to us?? i assume it's just software!!!
The last m6's were produced in Aug '10. M6Cabrio (member of the board) got the last US spec. As far as the new iDrive from what I've read elsewhere this can't be retrofitted as it is both a hardware and software upgrade to vehicles produced after Sept '10. I'm hopeful someone will figure out how to retrofit the new version.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The dealer told me he could retorfit the new idrive, but it would be around 3000euro. Not worth it really.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Update iDrive

All 2010 M6 vehicles received the newer iDrive, however it lacks a few of the features of the more advanced version in the 7 and X5 and new F10 5er, like the ability to time change satellite radio (go backwards, stop, advance forward), the online manual (7er), plus the ability to transfer songs from the ipod/iphone to the hard drive. However my M6 cabrio can copy songs to the HD from a CD, and from a flash drive. It also has the newer higher resolution screen and the updated pages and display settings. It is the best version made in an M6, as far as iDrive is concerned. The latest version in the X5 has the combox so it can display coverart, email from certain phones, and play videos from ipods and iphones.

Noushy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts