BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When I was at the BMW dealer getting the break-in service done on my new M6 I asked about the iPhone 4 cradle. Surprise I was available and according to the parts guy "They came in yesterday". So ... they now exists. I've got one in and the phone fits like a glove. Review to follow after I use it for a bit.

Kent

·
Registered
246 Posts
cost and self charging?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It does charge the phone. It seemed like it increased the signal strength a bit but ... I'll know more later.

Cost was $164 + tax here in NoCal at Steven Creek BMW. They are notorious for high prices so ... it may be cheaper elsewhere. I bought it because a) they had it in stock and b) I was there so ....

Part number is 84 21 2 199 289 if you want to order it or get a quote.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thank you Kent. I will be stopping by tomorrow morning to get me one!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more cool thing ... It charges the phone while the car is off. Unlike the cigarette lighter or the USB ports.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Could this be used instead of a "spec doc" (cradle used to play music from iPhone). This would be a great option if you could.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What can it do as opposed to the Bluetooth connection aside from charge the phone? I feel like I'm missing something...I like the convenience of just leaving my phone in my pocket and answering via iDrive...am I missing something?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What can it do as opposed to the Bluetooth connection aside from charge the phone? I feel like I'm missing something...I like the convenience of just leaving my phone in my pocket and answering via iDrive...am I missing something?
It seem like I get better reception but I'm not 100% certain yet. But it does not drop calls in a couple of spots where I routinely have problems but ... Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I went to a BMW parts deparment today to check it out. They have it, but it ONLY charges the phone! The Parts manager showed me in their system, that the one that actually works all the Multimedia features of the phone along everything else is under developement, and shoud be out within the next 2 months.
He told me it's the best to wait and check back in a month or so, and he can hopefully give me a more accurate release date!

·
Registered
270 Posts
iPhone 4 cradle

You guys are right, and the BMW internal report showed only the 1st version (phone) available. My service manger had ordered me two (one for the M6 one for the X5) not knowing what the other two models (coming soon in the report) were. The first is for non-smartphone integration models (no 6NF) the second is the one we all have been waiting for, music and phone, the third seems to be the one for the new combox cars (album art, email, etc.). The list prices were something like $149, $179, and $199 or so, but again the dealer costs were much lower. My dealer is charging me $152 for the multimedia one (they are giving me one for free with my X5 purchase). Anyways, the design works and the phone sits in nicely but it does seem a little cheap compared to the iPhone 3/3GS version. I was not completely impressed, especially for the money. Suffice to say, the cable works just fine for now. I didn't have a chance to test the phone function as far as improved antenna reception, but all it did was charge. Interestingly, it did not give the error 'this device is not...", it just worked without error.

Noushy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts