BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Cracked M-Pars

2648 13
I knew I had a crack in one of the staggered M-Pars as I had a slow leak and found a crack on the inner flange of the LH rear rim

Once the tires were taken off I found I had 3 cracked rims, with the tires mounted and under pressure a lot of these cracks weren't visible when mounted on the car.

LH Front - 2 cracks

RH Front - no cracks

LH Rear - 4 cracks

RH Rear - 1 crack

These were a second hand set of M-Pars that I bought of Taffy who bought them a few months before and never used them.

They've been repainted so I think the previous seller hid the cracks with body filler.

Stripping all the paint off them on Monday and we'll see if we can repair them

Cracks are all on the inner flange , none on the outer flange.

Is this inner flange cracking common with M-Pars ?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I dont think so. I have one extra wheel for sale and nobody wants it. Also prices of spare wheels are low.

Probably too low tire pressure and deep pot hole.
Low tire pressure , not on my M5 , 43 front , 41 rear. Possibly from the previous owner

Pot holes - lots in Jakarta

These M-Pars are OEM for the E34 M5 according to the part number.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Casted or forged?
I'm not sure... It was quite a while ago, and because my car has always been my daily driver I had to replace the wheels with another type to get away.

I got back to wholesome purity with a Forged set from DavidOli a couple of years ago.

For the UK I suspect it's those blasted speed bumps that they appear to insist on having on as many side roads as possible. The smaller ones that just about (but not quite) fit between the wheels do shred tyres, and I suspect add a lot of stress to inner rims.

· Registered
819 Posts
Can't be fixed with any reliability. 9J's a 9.5's are even more susceptible.

I save my cracked ones for my trailer project and used jb weld and hand sanded them...but they're still unreliable

It's the biggest con out there in terms of buying used m//'s

· Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I thought this was interesting , the M System 2 (Throwing Star and Turbine) has a thicker rear flange compared to the M-Par

I've found no cracks on the M System 2 so far.

Both wheels are 9J

Attachments

· Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
M-System II vs M-Par

There's substantially more 'meat' in the 17" M-system II (left) vs the 18" M-Par (right)

The rims are even a different width although both these rims are 9J , I'll put the ruler over them tomorrow

I always assumed these 2 rims were almost identical in profile.

Slight differences in the rim profiles (asymmetric humps) visible in this photo.

They've tried to shave a lot of weight off the M-Par but for our potholed roads in Indonesia they're less durable.

I haven't found 1 crack in the M-System IIs yet.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.