BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving along the freeway, and the car in front of me kicks up a piece of wood that strikes the left front om my car with a thud. When I get to the office, I look at the damage, and see that on the driver's side both lenses covering the headlights and the foglight are cracked. I suppose it could have been worse.

I didn't really get a chance to examine it to see what it would take to replace the lenses. Anyone here done that before? Is it a simple process, or a big espensive deal? My experience with BMWs, even the simplest repair or replacement can be a big deal.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The lenses are not replaceable as individual components. You will need to replace both light assemblies.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Comprehensive insurance covers these things. In Kentucky, there is no deductible for lights and glass. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
jhowton said:
The lenses are not replaceable as individual components. You will need to replace both light assemblies.
Omigod, do you mean I have to replace the entire headlight and foglight assemblies? Insurance is not an option, I have a $1K deductible, and probably wouldn't submit the claim anyway, for fear of having a claim against me. Musn't get the insurance company upset, you know.

At least, is replacing the assemblies a relatively simple do-it-yourself project?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
298 Posts
tsaros said:
If your car is a 99 or 00 then you can get a new cover, if your car is facelifted then you will need to buy the whole kit.
Well, according to my version of TIS, my 2000 M5 with Xenon headlights, the headlight assembly is one piece. There is no separate P/N for just the lens.

I know that the foglight is one sealed unit because I just bought one, the lens is not available separately.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wilkie said:
At least, is replacing the assemblies a relatively simple do-it-yourself project?
Replacing both is a pretty trivial operation, the hardest part is going to be aligning the headlight and even that is pretty easy.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
jhowton said:
Well, according to my version of TIS, my 2000 M5 with Xenon headlights, the headlight assembly is one piece. There is no separate P/N for just the lens.

I know that the foglight is one sealed unit because I just bought one, the lens is not available separately.
You folks need to visit the detailed E39 tips pages and specifically the vietsb posted procedure that shows lens cover replacement. Hundreds of owners have had great success with this procedure. Sandblasted, chipped or cracked covers can definitely be replaced on ALL E39 pre-angel eye Xenon or halogen setups.

That said, you must be "handy" and willing to fiddle with plastic assemblies. The hardest part is carefully separating the "fused/welded plastic" holding the lens cover onto the "internal guts" in a couple spots.

This procedure will set you back about $150-$200 (depending upon where you get the covers) for the pair, but your headlights will be good as new.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Do you know for a fact that your comprehensive deductible is the same 1000 as the collision deductible? The lowering the comp deductible has little impact on the rate, whereas the collision deductible will drastically impact the rate....

Still, mustn't piss off the insurance co... :)

A

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tsaros said:
What year is your car from Wilkie?
Mine is MY 2001, purchased new Jan. 2001.

ard, I double-checked, and the $1k deductible is for both comp & collision. Doesn't mattter, I wouldn/t submit a claim for just a few hundred bucks (I hope that's all it is).

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sorry to hear some bozo's wood creamed your lights.
It may be the time to do a euro conversion.
I replaced my 03 US Xenons with the euro / clear corner units for $925.00.
It took me maybe an hour to switch out both sides.
Good luck.

Wilkie said:
Omigod, do you mean I have to replace the entire headlight and foglight assemblies? Insurance is not an option, I have a $1K deductible, and probably wouldn't submit the claim anyway, for fear of having a claim against me. Musn't get the insurance company upset, you know.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
howler said:
Sorry to hear some bozo's wood creamed your lights.
It may be the time to do a euro conversion.
I replaced my 03 US Xenons with the euro / clear corner units for $925.00.
It took me maybe an hour to switch out both sides.
Good luck.
Hmmm, maybe. What's the difference/advantages with the euro units?

·
Registered
754 Posts
The euro lights come with clear corners.
Check out the attached pics.

Wilkie said:
Hmmm, maybe. What's the difference/advantages with the euro units?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Wilkie said:
Mine is MY 2001, purchased new Jan. 2001.

ard, I double-checked, and the $1k deductible is for both comp & collision. Doesn't mattter, I wouldn/t submit a claim for just a few hundred bucks (I hope that's all it is).

Thanks for your input.
Just for the record, comprehensive claims do not increase your rates as they are not "chargeable" claims. The only problem is if your "frequency of claims" reaches a certain point --PROBABLY ONE! :confused3

I got "nonrenewal" once for having 3 tows in one year on my insurance --nonrenewal for frequency of claims. Ever since I have had AAA or BMW take care of towing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
jhowton: You might want to use ETK instead of the TIS when searching for parts :)
As Lcsman said, pre facelift exchange is possible.
If you want i can provide the partnumbers for the cover.

But since this car is a -01 is it facelifted and then you must change the entire housing, i know from a fact as i did just that a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Wilkie said:
I wouldn/t submit a claim for just a few hundred bucks ...
Yes, I'd agree. I probably draw the line at $500.

Once an agent told me that a new windshield every 2-3 years is not an unexpected claim rate (he was a SF agent). I'd not worry so much about the first claim- it is the second and third that will get you!

Good luck. (I have a cracked fog... prolly should replace it but I never even turn them on..)

Adam

·
Registered
298 Posts
tsaros said:
jhowton: You might want to use ETK instead of the TIS when searching for parts :)
You know what, I am a dummy. I was looking at ETK, I even wrote down the headlamp assembly P/Ns for my car. It would be nice to replace just the lenses however and they didn't show up as a separate item with my VIN entered. If you have P/Ns for just the lenses I would appreciate it, BZ95346 is my VIN.

·
Registered
174 Posts
jhowton said:
You know what, I am a dummy. I was looking at ETK, I even wrote down the headlamp assembly P/Ns for my car. It would be nice to replace just the lenses however and they didn't show up as a separate item with my VIN entered. If you have P/Ns for just the lenses I would appreciate it, BZ95346 is my VIN.
I assumed you where using the ETK, i was trying to be a smartass :)
Here we go with the partnumbers :)

63 12 8 362 831 Left side
63 12 8 362 831 Right side

63 12 8 375 301 Left side Clear corners
63 12 8 375 302 Right side Clear corners

Only sold with Seal 63 12 8 362 446 (between housing and cover).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts