1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I recently checked my air filters and happened to notice how the air channels secured in place. Mine are fine but I can see how this might happen if the clips were to brake causing a not so tight fit. Expensive pieces those are...ouch! :eek:

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a broken clip as well, but unless you break them all there is little chance of air leaking in in significant quantities...

d-
Correct. I had one of three clips broken on the right side with no leaks however I had two of three clips on the left side causing a leak.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I noticed mine were not properly locking into the firewall, was getting very hot air feeding into the cockpit during heavy traffic driving.

Damn BMW technicians lack of attention to detail ! The other day they had an E39 M5 in the work bays, true enough, both ducts not properly clipped in.

On mine, one clip was damaged, but as you say, it locks into place properly.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I had a weird noise coming from my car about a month after I bought it. It was related to the air speed of the cabin blower. I pulled one of those out and reached in. Sure enough, one of those clips had snapped off and was dancing on the fan blades.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the same issue on one side and will try and take pics. I'm going to mess around with it after the engine cools down to see if it's a broken clip or just not snug into place....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
These are famous for breaking on the E39. I've got through a few in my time with this car, and in city traffic you can definitely notice the difference with just 1 clip broken. All that oil I've spilled over the years burns off and gets sucked straight into the cabin. It's a very poor design and it drove me nuts for ages. I don't think BMW took into account just how often they need removing for various maintenece jobs!
I recently learned the secret though, and it's made their removal and refitting as easy as taking off the oil cap...... Just cover the 3 lugs in WD40 before refitting...... As with so many things in life, if you lube it up properly, it'll just slide straight in. No problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Fixed mine. Appearantly it wasn't secured properly to the firewall and simply screws and snaps into place. (part number 7 in above realoem link). Glad this didn't result in a parts purchase...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Pretty common, they are very brittle. The trick is to set them in first, and lock them all the way. Then turn them toward the engine a click, and slide in the microfilter housing. Then of course twist it back into its locked position as you lock the two together.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yep they are crap broke one a while back, got a new one which broke 6 months later!

·
Registered
496 Posts
My driver's side broke as well. I got a new one but can never get all 3 clips to fit at the same time. I've tried pushing as hard as I can, but when I pushed on the top, the bottom pop out and vice versa. Once I tried for an hour and gave up. Of all things I've done on my car, I can't believe I could not get this right. I've managed to get the passenger side fit after half an hour. Any tricks to securing these?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Holy crap! I just checked and BOTH mine weren't even attached at all!! Just dangling in front of the firewall holes. Jesus. This explains the occasional blast of burnt smell I'm getting in the cabin. It's probably a fluid drip of some sort that's burning. I should track it down.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you think these are a poor design, you should see the design of this part on the older e39s. I finally had to replace these on my '97 540 and the part number is ended. You have to buy this design and buy new cabin air filter housings on each side to match, because the two parts snap together differently in the new design. $300.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I replaced both of mine, did the wd40, but the deal that really got me was the small bit of rubber where the channel connects to the filter box was cracked. The channels, though with broken clips, were secure enough. It was that rubber bit that was allowing a bit of engine air.

If yours are broken and you DO have a leak, run your climate control on "recirc" and that will close off the outside intake of air (or engine air if leaking). This will get you by until you replace them. Mind you, the recirc function turns off after you turn off the engine, you will have to re-engage it every time.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
As I wrote in my post above...... WD40. Works a treat.
and you have to use your "man strength" to get those bastards in far enough before twisting, the addage "dont force it" comes to mind, because after a couple of attempts, you will ruin your new ones if you don't go easy on it. use the wd40 and go gently, all while using your man strength:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I would just order a new one. That piece (especially the drivers side) has to come of any time you do a brake fluid flush so it gets much more use then the other side usually does...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Pretty common, they are very brittle. The trick is to set them in first, and lock them all the way. Then turn them toward the engine a click, and slide in the microfilter housing. Then of course twist it back into its locked position as you lock the two together.
If the car's ever been anywhere where they don't know to twist them first, chances are they'll be broken. They'll have been pulled until they release, at which point they'll break.

Both of mine (both sides) are damaged through improper removal. On the list.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts