BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night when racing home to catch 24 I pulled u[p at my house a little to far and cracked my bumper along the bottom of the car standing next to it you can see it but whe nI reached under I coukld feel it it's about a foot long now the questions so I replace the whole bumper or try to get a body shop to fix it I'm so mad at my self because I stopped then rolled forward a little more and crackkkk!!!!

Help me please!!!!!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well last night when racing home to catch 24 I pulled u[p at my house a little to far and cracked my bumper along the bottom of the car standing next to it you can see it but whe nI reached under I coukld feel it it's about a foot long now the questions so I replace the whole bumper or try to get a body shop to fix it I'm so mad at my self because I stopped then rolled forward a little more and crackkkk!!!!

Help me please!!!!!
Ouch, sorry to hear. That much have been painful to hear. I would guess that you would need to replace the whole unit.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Plastic Weld. It won't look great, but if you can open the gap up enough to get the stuff in from the top and then find a way to hold the crack shut it will weld the 2 pieces together.

Note that you'll need to hold the pieces together for about 15 minutes before it will set.

Doug

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
+1. A Motorcycle courier made a big hole in my previous car's front bumper and I had it invisibly welded and resprayed. Worked a treat and was way cheaper than a whole bumper.

Have you got any pics?

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Just pick up a new bumper cover from Umnitza for $130 or so and have your body shop spray it for another $100 or so, then install it yourself (takes about two hours and is very easy). The Umnitza piece fits beautifully, looks great, and the price is unbeatable. There are other places that have similar prices, but my experience is with the Umnitza piece.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Infamous Q - Sorry to hear about your bumper. I don't have an answer, but I at least have some info that may help you feel better. I replaced the front bumper on my Beast twice last year.... First time, I barely scraped a cement parking block thing. The angle was weird. It racked my bumper down the driver's side. Not even three months later, I'm on the interstate with nowhere to go and the car in front of me kicks up a truck tread shattering my brand new bumper. I went the body shop route both times. Let's hope your repair lasts longer. Before and after from the first incident attached....

Photo_022108_003.jpg

Photo_022208_001[1].jpg

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I don't have pic's because when I raised the car up it was not the bumper that had cracked but splash guard underneath when I placed my hand there because it was night I thought it was the bumper but it was the splash guard so now I just need to find a replacement part for that thanks for the help anybody know where I can get that from?

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Well I don't have pic's because when I raised the car up it was not the bumper that had cracked but splash guard underneath when I placed my hand there because it was night I thought it was the bumper but it was the splash guard so now I just need to find a replacement part for that thanks for the help anybody know where I can get that from?
You can get front fender liners from any dealer, such as BMW of Fairfax.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just a small hairline fracture. Where can I get this plastic weld?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info on the plastic weld! I will give that a try myself. Just the other day, I came down a steep driveway and CRACK!!!!!!

Let me know how this works because I just destroyed my Fog light area......

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
definitely go the repair route rather than replacement. I paid almost $1k for a new front bumper & paint/install b/c of a small crack in the bumper when I bought the car. I greatly regret that when my body shop said he could repair it invisibly for less than $500. Now my brand new bumper already has sandblast marks from highway driving, which my repaired bumper would also have had but I wouldn't have felt bad about it for only $500.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I took off the splash shield the other day and looked up in there..... The previous owner must have done the same thing! There was another crack just about in the same spot. It looked like there was some sort of epoxy used to hold it together and they probably patched and painted the outside. I cant see this costing much more than $200.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was quoted $516 to fix my ******* Fog light area they told me 3 hours of labor 2 hours of paint and an hour of actual work. I told them thanks and left and plastic weld worked very well and saved me a lot of money....

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have never used plastic weld before and I have a small crack on my back bumper. Would I attack it from the inside or just apply the plastic weld on the outside of the bumper?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have never used plastic weld before and I have a small crack on my back bumper. Would I attack it from the inside or just apply the plastic weld on the outside of the bumper?

Do it from the inside of the bumper so it does not show....

Reactions: HarcoM5
1 - 20 of 28 Posts