BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was all brought on by people looking for pieces to their cars that should have been there but somehow weren’t there when they bought them. Owner’s manuals, first aid kits, tools and more.
I bought my car from Car Source in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
Burbank</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">IL</st1:State></ST1:p. It was advertised as a CPO warranty car. When I bought the car I had no idea of what this really meant. It was advertised as perfect, and most of it was. So I thought nothing could be wrong. The Final Stage resistor needed to be changed, the front brakes and rotors were under spec, and the rear sway bar link and bracket (BROKEN) needed changed. I had no idea of any of this, my fault, because I trailered it 700 miles to MD (where I live) and had it inspected. I asked how a COP car could need these things and they just blew me off. So I called BMWNA. After talking to them I was informed that a non - BMW dealer could in fact sell a car as a CPO (however shady it was) because in a sense it was, however, that title stays with a car until it’s inspected and COP’ed by another BMW dealer. Mine changed hands during this time once making me the third owner, I have taken care of these minor issues, but thought anyone that is unclear of how a CPO car/warranty works should really check it out or buy it from the dealer that CPO’ed it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i went through a similar thing with mine but it was from an actual BMW dealer however not as bad as the things your car had (which i am sorry you had to go through) but still things that should have not been an issue and only found them bc i am somewhat anal. but i will still be filing a complaint with BMWNA on this dealer i am just waiting to see if they get me my plate bf the temp runs out so i have another thing to add to the list being they forgot to start the process with DMV for 10 days.

i must say it was the worst exp i have had buying a BMW or any car for that matter, the most un educated, **** talking people i have ever come across. i am a calm person but the crap got so bad i actually got up and said your **** your talking smells so bad i need to step outside.

i def urge people to look over CPO cars and even get a PPI at an independent shop like i did at my Dinan dealer even it is from a dealer.

after i saw those little things and they told me oh this is a cpo car everything is fine. i said no problem then. we will take the car to the dinan dealer down the road 20 miles and get an inspection then. they were shocked but i told them i wasn't buying the car unless they agreed. the idiot salesman goes so if we deny you walk out, i said faster than you can deny partner.

long story short the car was fine minus some little things that i got most fixed but the staple of the car i wanted checked and all came out perfect.

dealers are shady and not your friends plain and simple (no offense to any salesman or dealer managers on here that set a good example bc i know there are some out there as my uncle ran a dealership for 20 years and was actually one of the good ones unfortantly he warned me about the rest )

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Not surprising at all.

It is repeated here so often that it is almost trivial: Do not trust a "CPO", do not trust a freshly CPOd car, do not trust anything a dealer SAYS - neither BMW dealer or other 'dealer'...

You always have an inspection done PRIOR TO BUYING.

As you discovered, once a BMW is "cpo'd" it is a CPO for life. But the inspection may have been a lifetime ago.

The only thing a CPO gives you is an extended warranty- everything else MUST be verified by your own inspection.

Also, read and understand what a CPO inpsection includes- I recently saw a CPO checkilist where rotors were not measured, there was no trunk cargo net, only one key. It was a 2003 and had never had a coolant flush. possibly expired Mobility kit.. Dealer was just going throught he motions.

There have been folks that bought freshly CPOd cars at night, only to find significant scratches the next morning- 'tough, it meets CPO criteria'

The CPO will not cover 'normal wear and tear'- there is a lot of money in parts that wear out and -unless you catch them prior to purchase- you will wind up pay for later.

A

PS Funny thing, most dealerships set it up so that the sales staff is ignorant of the cars they sell- certainly dealers and salemen do not really try to find out anything at all about these cars. If they don't know they don't need to lie- all by design.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts