BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been beaten to death but I needed some quick emergency advice. I just purchased my 2000 M in Sept 2004 with the CPO. In a nut shell I just took it to another dealer to get my valve cover gasket replaced becuase the orginal dealer was insisting that it is not covered under the CPO warranty. They were not going to help me out in anyway even though I had only purchased the car from them 3 month prior. So I took it to another dealer and I am paying ($800) for them to fix it as we speak. The dealer that I took it to wanted to see the CPO inspection report, so I sent it over and they mentioned that there was no report on the brakes or tire wear. The dealer told me that is part of the whole CPO inspection. The reason this came up was because my brakes are almost gone and my tires need replacing. The service manager said that these items should have been replaced at the inspection.

My question is, do the CPO inspection reports show tire and brake wear, and does the dealer have to disclose it ?

Thanks for any advice.

Lyle

·
10,455 Posts
I am pretty sure the cpo inspection does document brake pad thickness and tread depth. If neither were documented on your car's cpo inspection, and you need them replaced, i'd send those files to bmwna for review and ask for a refund for work that should have been done to make the car a 'cpo car.' Interesting that you aren't getting valve cover gaskets replaced, i got them done under cpo warranty, and have heard of others too, maybe bmwusa vs bmw canada?
Mike

lylerichards said:
I know this topic has been beaten to death but I needed some quick emergency advice. I just purchased my 2000 M in Sept 2004 with the CPO. In a nut shell I just took it to another dealer to get my valve cover gasket replaced becuase the orginal dealer was insisting that it is not covered under the CPO warranty. They were not going to help me out in anyway even though I had only purchased the car from them 3 month prior. So I took it to another dealer and I am paying ($800) for them to fix it as we speak. The dealer that I took it to wanted to see the CPO inspection report, so I sent it over and they mentioned that there was no report on the brakes or tire wear. The dealer told me that is part of the whole CPO inspection. The reason this came up was because my brakes are almost gone and my tires need replacing. The service manager said that these items should have been replaced at the inspection.

My question is, do the CPO inspection reports show tire and brake wear, and does the dealer have to disclose it ?

Thanks for any advice.

Lyle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer told me that they will only cover the gasket replacement if there is a problem with the cover itself and I don't believe there is a difference between US and CDN.

Lyle

mottati said:
I am pretty sure the cpo inspection does document brake pad thickness and tread depth. If neither were documented on your car's cpo inspection, and you need them replaced, i'd send those files to bmwna for review and ask for a refund for work that should have been done to make the car a 'cpo car.' Interesting that you aren't getting valve cover gaskets replaced, i got them done under cpo warranty, and have heard of others too, maybe bmwusa vs bmw canada?
Mike

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
lylerichards said:
Here's a 24-page guideline document I found when I Googled 'BMW + CPO + checklist'

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/ucrewx5/pdf/BMW CPO inspection guidelines.pdf

here are some excerpts:

TIRES & TIRE TREADS (INCLUDING SPARE)
Replace mismatched and/or non-approved tire(s).
Replace cupped, unevenly worn and sidewall-damaged
tire(s). Adjust alignment of uneven tread wear.
REPLACE any tire measuring LESS THAN 3-mm tread
depth at all locations across the entire surface.
Balance all replaced tires.
Adjust pressure to placard requirements.

WHEELS (INCLUDING SPARE)
Replace bent, gouged and/or warped rims.
Wheel(s) is (are) to conform to Runout Specifications –
should not exceed 0.6 mm Radial/0.6 mm Lateral.
Refinish small chipped, scuffed and scratched rims.
Adjust lug bolts to correct Nm torque.

BRAKE ROTOR CONDITION
Replace worn, scored, hot-spotted or warped disc.
Replace any disc below minimum thickness as stamped
on hub.
If replacing pads, clean brake contact points and
grease wheel-centering hubs.

BRAKE PADS
REPLACE pads measuring LESS THAN 5 mm.

Hope that helps!
-Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the quick reponses.

I am going to p/u my car tomorrow morning.

Lyle

Teutonaddict said:
Here's a 24-page guideline document I found when I Googled 'BMW + CPO + checklist'

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/ucrewx5/pdf/BMW%20CPO%20inspection%20guidelines.pdf

here are some excerpts:

TIRES & TIRE TREADS (INCLUDING SPARE)
Replace mismatched and/or non-approved tire(s).
Replace cupped, unevenly worn and sidewall-damaged
tire(s). Adjust alignment of uneven tread wear.
REPLACE any tire measuring LESS THAN 3-mm tread
depth at all locations across the entire surface.
Balance all replaced tires.
Adjust pressure to placard requirements.

WHEELS (INCLUDING SPARE)
Replace bent, gouged and/or warped rims.
Wheel(s) is (are) to conform to Runout Specifications –
should not exceed 0.6 mm Radial/0.6 mm Lateral.
Refinish small chipped, scuffed and scratched rims.
Adjust lug bolts to correct Nm torque.

BRAKE ROTOR CONDITION
Replace worn, scored, hot-spotted or warped disc.
Replace any disc below minimum thickness as stamped
on hub.
If replacing pads, clean brake contact points and
grease wheel-centering hubs.

BRAKE PADS
REPLACE pads measuring LESS THAN 5 mm.

Hope that helps!
-Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts