BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '00 with 37,000 and I went to the dealer earlier this week with an engine SES light on. I told the dealer I purchased an aftermarket warranty when I bought the car in 10/2004 for $2,000 from the used car dealer from which I bought the car.

This was my second trip to the dealer. The first was for a minor interior button. This one appeared to be major with the SES light going, so he takes my key sticks it in his key hole thing, and tells me my car is under CPO warranty until 7/06. I'll just have to pay the $50.00 deductable.

This was news to me. The first trip in there, the guy said nothing about the CPO, and neither did the used car dealer I bought the car from (Luxury Motors in Chicago).

I a little bent I spent $2000 on a warranty if I have the CPO, but happy that I might actually have the CPO covering my car, because it is a little more extensive, with a cheaper deductable.

Without alerting the dealer for the service I just had (2 cam shaft sensors and a SES reset), is there a way to find out if my car is indeed covered by the CPO program.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Registered
240 Posts
Brian:

Believe me, the dealer would not be mistaken telling you your car is CPO'd. I think that whoever sold you the car duped you into a bogus warranty. They knew the car was CPO'd, and just turned it over to you. Who is the extended warranty with that you paid $2000?

Eric

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

Thanks for the reply. The contract is with Easy Care extended vehicle protection. It covers most of the stuff on the CPO, which is why I bought it. Of course you'd have to go through the motions with BMW to coordinate the payment of the service, but...

So the long and the short of it is, you think I am covered. That's kind of what I figured.

Brian

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ard said:
Oh boy. Yeah it was Luxury Motors. They also screwed up on my deposit, and had $2000.00 hanging around in their system for about 3 or 4 weeks. Yessed me to death. No refund. I finally had to have it out with the GM, who was very cordial on the phone. Finally got my money back. A couple of other problems too. Oh well, at least my car is in good shape.

Now onto the next question. Will the CPO program get me a UUC clutch? Mine is on its last leg.

Brian

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
BrianS said:
Will the CPO program get me a UUC clutch? Mine is on its last leg.
Uh, in a word- no.

It might not even get you a stock clutch!

This topic has been beat to absolute death, but if the dealer decides it just wore out due to either normal wear and tear or abuse, there is no 'defect' and the warranty doesn't apply.

On the other warranty- if they really bought a warranty, you might be able to cancel it and get a refund. This is possible even years later with some- as long as you've nver used it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ard said:
Uh, in a word- no.

It might not even get you a stock clutch!

This topic has been beat to absolute death, but if the dealer decides it just wore out due to either normal wear and tear or abuse, there is no 'defect' and the warranty doesn't apply.

On the other warranty- if they really bought a warranty, you might be able to cancel it and get a refund. This is possible even years later with some- as long as you've nver used it.
Yeah, the clutch idea seemed a bit far fetched, but worth bringing up.

As for the purchased warranty Ard, I was thinking the exact same thing. I am going to contact them today. If they get me a refund, I'll let you all know.

Brian

·
Registered
184 Posts
BrianS said:
is there a way to find out if my car is indeed covered by the CPO program.
Call BMWUSA or if you've registered your car in the Owner's Circle on BMWUSA.COM you can send them a priority email. When I was shopping for my M5, they were very helpful in confirming warranty and maintenance plan details for me. Also, although it's not necessary, it's also a good idea to advise BMW that you now own the car and to give them your contact info.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WannaM5 said:
Call BMWUSA or if you've registered your car in the Owner's Circle on BMWUSA.COM you can send them a priority email. When I was shopping for my M5, they were very helpful in confirming warranty and maintenance plan details for me. Also, although it's not necessary, it's also a good idea to advise BMW that you now own the car and to give them your contact info.
I just called the dealer and got confirmation it is a CPO. I also called Luxury Motors and my aftermarket warranty company. They said they will cut me a check (in about 4 weeks) as a refund for the warranty. We'll see...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
BrianS said:
I just called the dealer and got confirmation it is a CPO. I also called Luxury Motors and my aftermarket warranty company. They said they will cut me a check (in about 4 weeks) as a refund for the warranty. We'll see...
Send them a fax with a statement and just ask them to have the GM or sales manager sign it and fax it back- just "for record keeping purposes".

Might not not do it, but it keeps you from getting jerked around for weeks with phone calls.

a

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ard said:
Send them a fax with a statement and just ask them to have the GM or sales manager sign it and fax it back- just "for record keeping purposes".

Might not not do it, but it keeps you from getting jerked around for weeks with phone calls.

a
They just faxed me the cancellation paperwork to sign and fax back, with the Finance managers information on it. I will use that as leverage, in case things don't go so smoothly.

Thanks again,

Brian

·
Registered
147 Posts
BrianS said:
They just faxed me the cancellation paperwork to sign and fax back, with the Finance managers information on it. I will use that as leverage, in case things don't go so smoothly.

Thanks again,

Brian
That's great news! Regarding Luxury Motors, I bought my car from them and had no problems because I made sure up front that everything was taken care of. E39m5Nut (who bought two cars from them) helped me out as well, by personally inspecting the car before purchase, not to mention I had a nearby BMW dealership inspect it as well. I even went as far as digging up the previous owner and asking him many questions about it. I ended up knowing much more about the car then they did.

I think that some of the things that I have read about their business practices is terrible, but I don't think that is the case for the operation as a whole. They did 380 million in sales last year alone, so they have to be doing something right. (sounds like they have done something wrong too though):rolleyes:

The bottom line is that it is much harder to get screwed when you do your homework yourself and don't take the dealership's word on ANYTHING. From what I have read, they less likely to do anything on the "I owe you's" after payment and delivery, so you simply don't accept delivery without it. There was a whole list of things that I insisted on before delivery and they honored all of it. (new CD changer, NAV disc, new tire, etc.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts