BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into exhaust for my 08 stock M5. It has 35,000 miles and CPO warranty that I don't want to void. I'm specifically interested in RPI's exhaust due to the glowing reviews.

Is there an aftermarket exhaust that can be garaunteed not to interfere with my CPO warranty?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Guarantees, no. However, I cannot recall a BMW dealer not honoring a legitimate warranty claim due to exhaust. But, as Ideliver noted, it is not guaranteed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe someone can verify, but I think you can have your stealer install a Dinan and be OK with your warranty. I know that my dealer is listed as a Dinan installer. And yes I know that may not me jack as far as warranty is concerned.

·
Company Representative for Becks Imports LLC
418 Posts
Hi, it's Bruce M., the warranty and car-locator guy. :)

Dinan parts installed by a BMW dealer carry either the BMW warranty if approved by BMW, or a matching Dinan (or sometimes optionally purchased in the case of major engine mods) warranty.

There is a law called the Magnuson-Moss act which states (among other things) that for a warranty claim to be denied due to a modification to the car, it has to be related to the failure being submitted for warranty reimbursement. That law primarily applies to manufacturers as they sell stock cars that customers modify after-the-fact. So BMW can't deny a warranty claim for a blown head gasket because you put on a Stoptech brake kit.

People try to sue aftermarket warranty providers using the same law, but it's rarely upheld because when you sign an aftermarket warranty contract, it specifically states that non-manufacturer approved parts void the warranty.

Now, if you modify the exhaust and your iDrive stops working, it's a stretch to claim that the claim should not be paid due to the exhaust. You'd win that in court if the claim were just limited to that particular instance. However:

1. Do you really want to go through that situation of having to fight to get a claim paid? It could take forever and cost you more than the claim to win. Remember the acronym BTS, meaning "Back To Stock" and do that in the event a big claim is going to be inspected.

2. An inspector could come out, see a modified part, and just tell the warranty company to void your contract. That is within their rights if the contract you signed states that modifications void the warranty. They'll win, end of story.

Bruce

·
Registered
550 Posts
or a matching Dinan (or sometimes optionally purchased in the case of major engine mods) warranty.
That matching dinan warranty won't help you if you slap on an exhaust and you blow your motor, and BMW won't warranty the motor because of exhaust. You'll spend thousands upon thousands to take this to court, and you won't have a car to drive for months in a scenario like this.

·
418 Posts
That matching dinan warranty won't help you if you slap on an exhaust and you blow your motor, and BMW won't warranty the motor because of exhaust. You'll spend thousands upon thousands to take this to court, and you won't have a car to drive for months in a scenario like this.
I'm not sure I understand. If you put on a Dinan supercharger and buy the dinan warranty, if the supercharger grenades, both the supercharger and the resulting engine damage is covered by Dinan (or BMW is the Dinan supercharger was BMW-approved and installed by a BMW dealer).

Of course if you have a Dinan supercharger and warranty, and put on an RPI exhaust and THAT grenades your engine, then yes, Dinan (and BMW if RPI was not BMW-approved) would not honor the warranty.

Bruce

·
Registered
212 Posts
Buy the RPI, keep the stock exhaust, if any major issues arise in which you feel bmw will void your warranty/not honor... then simply swap out the exhaust before taking it in for the claim.

/thread

:byebye:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy the RPI, keep the stock exhaust, if any major issues arise in which you feel bmw will void your warranty/not honor... then simply swap out the exhaust before taking it in for the claim.

/thread

:byebye:
By saying "simply swap out the exhaust" are you saying this is a simple task? What if the BMW dealer knows that you have aftermarket exhaust on the car and then one day you show up with a problem and the stock exhaust back on?

·
418 Posts
It just means that if it costs $600 to swap exhausts, and you're filing a $4000 claim, it's worth swapping exhausts to avoid a potential denial of a $4000 claim.

Your BMW dealer SA would have to be a real tool if you went theee to call in a claim saying "customer USED to have a modded exhaust but I think they took it off'.

This is another reason to concider a private mechanic when out of factory warranty...they're a lot more, um, creative when it comes to getting claims paid.

Bruce

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. If you put on a Dinan supercharger and buy the dinan warranty, if the supercharger grenades, both the supercharger and the resulting engine damage is covered by Dinan (or BMW is the Dinan supercharger was BMW-approved and installed by a BMW dealer).

Of course if you have a Dinan supercharger and warranty, and put on an RPI exhaust and THAT grenades your engine, then yes, Dinan (and BMW if RPI was not BMW-approved) would not honor the warranty.

Bruce
First just to clarify, the BMW/Dinan relationship is weak; it's not what it used to be and BMW doesn't overlook Dinan parts like it used to.

My point was, dealers like to immediately blame aftermarket parts as the cause of a problem on cars. I've seen a number of dealers, BMW and others try to say, your XXXX broke because of your aftermarket part, when it's blatently obvious that the likelihood of that was slim to none.

So my point was, if someone adds a Dinan aftermarket exhaust and the transmission or motor on their car later breaks, some dealers might try to blame the "extra horsepower of the exhaust" or "changing of air/fuel ratios of the exhaust" on the breakage. You know as well as I do if you went to Dinan and said hey, the dealership won't honor my engine or tranny failure because I have an exhaust, will you cover my new engine or tranny, Dinan will laugh you out of the building. Heck, people on this board alone have had problems getting Dinan to do the right thing when an engine had a problem and BMW blamed the rev limiter being raised to 8400rpms for the failure. Dinan doesn't want to just shell out $40k for a new motor when they know their engine software likely didn't cause the engine problem, and BMW has an easy out not to cough up an engine due to the tune. It becomes a big back and forth battle that no one wants to deal with, and sometimes attorneys have to be involved.

·
418 Posts
That's true enough. That's why with Dinan parts it's always best to find a Dinan BMW dealer and have them do the sales/install. It's more expensive, but they can't use the 'aftermarket parts' excuse. If they sold and installed it, BMW will honor the car's warranty.

Bruce

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a lot of guys on this forum running aftermarket exhaust.......are you guys concerned about warranty issues?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts