BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to run something by you to get your feedback.

1. As some of you may know, I recently had the car in at the dealership for inspection 1, and noticed that they refilled her with 9 quarts of 5W30. Based on a post today about importance of oil-viscosity, I'm a little concerned, and wonder about bringing her back to have this oil replaced with 10W60. My SA never even mentioned the new TSB from BMW regarding this for the E39. :confused:

2. I inquired about having the rear passenger airbags re-activated, and was told that this involved removing both door panels, re-connecting the airbag components and then re-setting the computer...all at my expense! Does anyone know if this is true?? Or is this total BS!!! grrrrrrr

3. I also had my coolant temp sensor replaced this past weekend, as the gauge was behaving erratically. Someone else here mentioned having this problem and having the thermostat replaced as well...I inquired about a recall, but neither the SA or Service manager was aware of a recall for the cooling fan or other parts of cooling system for the M5. ??????

I'm planning a road trip to MA in a few weeks and I'm worried that this was more than just the coolant sensor (car has run fine all along, gauge now works "normally"). Should I have them replace the thermostat for my own piece of mind?? I'd hate to have that go on me when I least expect it. (Had that happen with the E36 M3 and it wasn't pretty). :grrrr:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I was told by a BMW brand manager at North American headquarters in NJ that BMW dealers were supposed to activate or deactive the rear air bags at no charge for as long as the car was in service. You might want to investigate this and/or call BMWNA and ask for the "official" word. If this is not the policy, it wouldn't be the first time something I was told by BMWNA turned out to be inaccurate. But they are usually in the loop and in the know.

·
Registered
992 Posts
lsdvm said:
Hey all, just wanted to run something by you to get your feedback.

1. As some of you may know, I recently had the car in at the dealership for inspection 1, and noticed that they refilled her with 9 quarts of 5W30. Based on a post today about importance of oil-viscosity, I'm a little concerned, and wonder about bringing her back to have this oil replaced with 10W60. My SA never even mentioned the new TSB from BMW regarding this for the E39. :confused:

2. I inquired about having the rear passenger airbags re-activated, and was told that this involved removing both door panels, re-connecting the airbag components and then re-setting the computer...all at my expense! Does anyone know if this is true?? Or is this total BS!!! grrrrrrr

3. I also had my coolant temp sensor replaced this past weekend, as the gauge was behaving erratically. Someone else here mentioned having this problem and having the thermostat replaced as well...I inquired about a recall, but neither the SA or Service manager was aware of a recall for the cooling fan or other parts of cooling system for the M5. ??????

I'm planning a road trip to MA in a few weeks and I'm worried that this was more than just the coolant sensor (car has run fine all along, gauge now works "normally"). Should I have them replace the thermostat for my own piece of mind?? I'd hate to have that go on me when I least expect it. (Had that happen with the E36 M3 and it wasn't pretty). :grrrr:
In regards to the rear airbag reactivation - they are feeding you a line of BS. I took my E39 in to my local dealership and asked and they just did it - no charge.

SCORPIO

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
With regards to the coolant system, I think you should be fine with the replacement of the coolant sensor. Just keep an eye on your temp guage and stay aware. Most people usually just get the thermostat sensor replaced under that situation (I did).

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
lsdvm
Sounds like your dealer is not well informed. I also note that 9 qts of oil is at least one more than typically used. You might want to talk to board member MannyM5 (although I haven't seen him post recently). He works at JMK BMW, I think it is in Springfield off of Rt. 22. He and the service department are very knowledgeable about the M cars.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
93 Posts
Regards the oil - get them to change it, and before you drive back let them know that you have checked it after their service and found it over filled. The M5 takes 6.5 litres of oil and over filling leads to increased oil consumption (splas effect) and can damage the engine. This is taken straight from a TIS (Technical Information Service) that BMW use.

Also get them to use the proper oil. Not sure but would think yours is still TWS 10w/60. Lots of threads on this.

Also be sure to check the oil as recomended. At running temperature, park (level) and let the engine idle for approx a minute. Then after at least a minute check the oil. It does make a difference. BMW recommend that after a car has been overfilled that it should be run until the OIL LEVEL indicator comes on and then have 1 litre added - this represents the length between the bottum and top markers.

I did this with mine and it helped on oil consumption - maybe I just got lucky mmmmmm

Any way good luck.

And remember we all make mistakes - it's just how we correct them cherrsagai
that counts. My dealer was very good - Top class:M5eyes:

gsfent said:
lsdvm
Sounds like your dealer is not well informed. I also note that 9 qts of oil is at least one more than typically used. You might want to talk to board member MannyM5 (although I haven't seen him post recently). He works at JMK BMW, I think it is in Springfield off of Rt. 22. He and the service department are very knowledgeable about the M cars.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts