BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first problem occurred during my track day a week or so ago when using sticky tyres - after the first session, every hard corner I went around caused the 'door open' message to be displayed along with the corresponding 'bong'.

This has become more regular since then and I am getting it about once every 10 miles.

Secondly, just today I noticed that when I turn the ignition on I get the normal green bars denoting the service schedule, but I've now got two green bars and an 'inspection' light lit as well - I'm getting it checked out but wondered if anyone else has had this and what it could be?

Thanks in advance for the help you will undoubtedly offer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm a very new M5 owner but i understand that when the service lights malfunction it's usually due to dead rechargeable batteries soldered on the circuit board. They're AA size and any reasonably competent tech can resolder new batteries in place for less than the cost of a replacement board.
As for the doors this will be more difficult tofind cos it only warns you above a certain speed but you'll have to drive along and get a passenger to press hard on the inside of each door to find which one is causing the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
madm5 said:
I'm a very new M5 owner but i understand that when the service lights malfunction it's usually due to dead rechargeable batteries soldered on the circuit board. They're AA size and any reasonably competent tech can resolder new batteries in place for less than the cost of a replacement board.
Do you have any further information on this? I have a problem with my trip meter resetting everytime the car is shut off, might have something to do with this.
-Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
EMPHIVE said:
Do you have any further information on this? I have a problem with my trip meter resetting everytime the car is shut off, might have something to do with this.
-Thanks!
This sounds very like the batteries, i'm no expert but have read in the haynes manual about this, it shows a picture of these batteries soldered on the board, it would literally take 10 mins to remove the old ones and solder in new ones, once the board is removed, any rechargeable aa batteries would work. The board is on the back of the instrument panel

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
Secondly, just today I noticed that when I turn the ignition on I get the normal green bars denoting the service schedule, but I've now got two green bars and an 'inspection' light lit as well - I'm getting it checked out but wondered if anyone else has had this and what it could be?
Could there possibly be a clock symbol lighting up too? If so it's the service timer for brake fluid/coolant which lights up every 2nd (?) year. However, this timer resets when disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I agree with Mr. J, I have the same in my car just now, two green lights still left until next oil-service, still the 'inspection' sign came on BUT together with
the 'clock symbol', i.e. meaning time to change the brake-fluid (any time the
battery is NOT connected the respective time is NOT recorded), in that case
one shud NOT wait for the symbol to come on but change the brake-fluid
at least after 2 years from the last change -
-
'door-open' warning > you have a bad connection to one of the 'open door-sensors', is my best guess :byebye:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts