BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my M5 from Germany on Friday, brought it into the UK on saturday and now it's sat in my garage waiting to be registered before I can drive it again. What a pain - an extra ten or so days before I can put on the extra 700 miles needed to run it in.

It's Le Mans Blue with a Sportive Silverstone interior (extras are full leather, PDC, sunroof, CD interchange unit and integrated child seats). Even keeping the revs below 4500 and not putting my foot fully down showed me what an amazing car this is! However I do have a few (minor) concerns:

1. I ordered the car in full nappa point leather and there's leather and alcantara everywhere I'd expect it except the top of the dashboard. Is this standard on a RHD car? Has anyone else in the UK bought a full leather RHD M5 (import or direct) recently and found this?

2. There's no torch in the glove box. The dealer said that BMW doesn't put these in as standard anymore (except with a 7 series). Is this right or have they just lost it and are trying to pull a fast one?

Cheers,
Phil Spencer.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
1. Mine has standard leather so cannot help on this one.

2. Mine has the torch in the glovebox so I guess he has lost it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Phil

I asked about full leather when I ordered my car, dealer said that it did not include dash, so I chose not to order it, however, from US posts it seems that it seems that it is available on dash.

Also UK brochure showed a leather dash, albeit in the exclusive trim.

As for the torch, it should be there!

Let me know if you want to meet up for a beer and have a look over my UK spec car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Phil,
I imported my M5 from Holland, it also was supplied without a tourch, may be they are not standard in mainland Europe ? Mind you the rest of the standard spec if far better Nav/TV/PDC/Top HiFi etc. When you are on the road, the Cambridge area M5's should meet up for a beer ?

David

·
Registered
385 Posts
Torch = Flashlight??

We don't get them in the US. Why would they be standard equipment in the UK? Is there anything special about it? BMW logo, etc..??

·
Registered
195 Posts
SteveP,

Yes, torch = flashlight. I haven't opened my glovebox since I bought my car, but I'm sure the sales guy showed me a flashlight in the glovebox, just like with my previous M3. I believe they are standard in the glovebox of the US cars as well. Was yours missing?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Speaking from the Canadian standpoint (we I am actually not so such about the Vancouver side so aply or andy can fill in here), E36 is the first BMW (since torches were around) where white torches/flashlights are optional. You can pick one up from the parts department though. As far as I know, all 5 series and up comes with the black flashlight.
I think the white and black flashlights denotes two different systems and are not interchangable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh, and the excuse I got back then was "Your new BMW key comes with a flashlight in it so why need two!" Crap!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
yor keys have flashlights? woah. i got the torch, and i have leather across the top of the dash (or so i assume.)

--Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your dealer will give you a torch free is you ask. The rhd spec full leather has no upper dash or door caps in leather BMW say "we asked about it and it would have been too expensive"!! The picture in the brochure has been "flipped" from a lhd dash. They don't go to great lengths to point this out tho'!

Mine's graphite grey with Lemans blue all leather/titanium (no problems with gear knob at 8k miles)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts