BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to chime in and say that it's been quite a while since I've participated here, however that is soon to change.

It's been an ongoing build process of almost a year. In the next couple weeks Ill be headed out to San Diego to pick up my car from Frank Fahey where the engine was just built. (B36/B38 hybrid)

Heavily Ported/Polished B36 head
Oversized SS valves
50mm ITBs
Honed B38 block
B38 crank
Pauter Forged Rods
10.25:1 JE Pistons & FF Spec Rings
New B38 Rod and Main bearings
ARP Studs and Bolts
Motorsport Valve Springs
VAC Steel Valve Ret. (Removed Ti)
Schrick 280 Intake and Exhaust Cam
FF Adjustable Cam Gears
55lb RC Racing Injectors

Secondary Air Delete
Header Jet Coated w block off plates
Stainless Steel Track Pipe
Uni Chip EMS (soon to change)

UUC Stage 2 clutch to go in

I'm very excited and will use this thread as a build thread to update the project as it all comes together.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
900 Posts
Which airport are you flying into? Need a ride from the airport to pick up the car?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow!

I think you will definitely own a Red Rocket with that motor build.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hey Brian, ill likely be trailering it home. I appreciate the offer. You're welcome to come and meet up when I take delivery of the car.

Trailer???:eek7: ;)

Give me a heads up when you are locking in the date and as long as I am not working that would be great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's gotta be a $18k engine easy from F Fahey. Curious to see what you make out of it when you get it back sounds like it will be pretty amazing. Doesn't AZ have similar smog laws to CA? What are you doing about smog?

Are the RC injectors a bolt in?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Reddianan... Easily...but Frank has an attention to detail that I appreciate.

AZ does have smog, but not nearly as bad as CA and after 25 years the car will be emission exempt so the point is nearly moot.

Can't wait to get her home and start the break-in process.

·
Registered
98 Posts
He did the lower crank and bearings on the Dinan M5 I had. Never a issue although a couple leaks. You hear good and bad but what counts is you are happy in the end.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like a great build. Can't wait to see the progress.

May I ask why you did this: VAC Steel Valve Ret. (Removed Ti)
Did you have any issues with the titanium retainers?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sounds like a great build. Can't wait to see the progress.

May I ask why you did this: VAC Steel Valve Ret. (Removed Ti)
Did you have any issues with the titanium retainers?

Thanks,

Eric
Eric,

The Titanium retainers makes the valve train lighter but they ware fast... So Steel is preferred for longevity.

Unless you want to pull the cam tray every several thousand miles for inspection and possible replace...Are you ready to perform that ?

Now makes you think witch one you prefer to use Ti or Steel...

Cheers
Anri

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Reddinan, you are correct. Also I'm surprised how many stroker M5s are in California.

Anri, you are correct. We removed the titanium for maintenance concerns.

Thank you all for the kind words. Ill be picking up the car the first weekend in May.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry if this was posted but is he delivering a running car or just an engine you are picking up?? If installed is it broken in and dyno tuned? Used to be heavy into Hot Rods ad would never install an engine that builder didn't break in and test.

Not bashing just for such an expensive engine I wouldn't take any chances to have finger pointing if issues come up. I can't wait to see how she runs and your review of how it feels.

·
10,457 Posts
pretty sure Nik's got a whole car at Fahey's (on 4/21 he says he'll be picking up the car, not picking up an engine). And i do know for certain that it has run.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts