BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the pictures, could you roughly estimate what’s broken and needs to be repaired?

First of all, let me give you a little background so that you’ll know what I am doing. I live in Bangkok, Thailand, where import taxes for luxury cars are insane (more than 300% plus extra charges for high cc engine). In 2005 when these cars were new, the M6 costed $550,000 and the 645Ci costed $400,000. With these monster price tags, the e63/e64 is extremely rare, particularly the M6 version. Even today, the average price is $90,000-$110,000 for M6 and $45,000-$55,000 for 645Ci.

So in order for us to own the M6 without breaking the bank, we need to get a 645Ci first, then import those M parts from other countries (we cannot import used cars, that’s illegal, so we need to buy cars from foreign countries, cut them in half, and import those parts, this way, the import taxes are reduced by ten times, from 300%+ to 30%. ). Then we’ll swap everything from the half-cut M6 to the 645Ci.

Unfortunately, the cost of buying an M car in Japan plus the cost of cutting, import taxes and everything still totals around $20,000. The more economical option is to buy a crashed car, which brings the cost down to $10,000. So I think I’m buying this car in Japan, the question is, from the pictures, could you roughly estimate what’s broken and needs to be repaired? Should I get this and save $10,000 or should I pay $10,000 more and get a non-accident car?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
1,743 Posts
All bits and pieces add up VERY quickly (fender liners, airbox, etc etc.). Unless you want to play the used parts route. IMO I'd get a non accident car.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Can you buy the replacement parts used, or would you have to get new? If you have to buy new and/or have hard time sourcing the parts, you'll spend more than the extra $10k
The leather dash on that M6 is toast by the way and 645ci didn't have a leather dash option to my knowledge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All bits and pieces add up VERY quickly (fender liners, airbox, etc etc.). Unless you want to play the used parts route. IMO I'd get a non accident car.
Thanks! Used parts are probably the only way to go, since buying new parts doesn't seem to make much economic sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you buy the replacement parts used, or would you have to get new? If you have to buy new and/or have hard time sourcing the parts, you'll spend more than the extra $10k
The leather dash on that M6 is toast by the way and 645ci didn't have a leather dash option to my knowledge.
Yes I can buy the replacement parts used from junkyards in Europe, Japan and America. Apart from M6 dash being leather, are there any more differences? Will dash on 645ci work as a replacement part? Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts