BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Valve cover bolt. Very typical and notorius, but unlikely to cause a quart every 500 miles or so. You don't state how much oil you are consuming, but I would say you would see smoke and smell burning oil if it was a significant contributor. As a guess, I would say NOT your #1 leak. M5's have a history of using oil- not all, but quite a few. I would say trying snugging it A LITTLE first and see if it goes away. You can buy the bolts seals cheap. Whatever you do, don't exceed the torque spec.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Those just weep rather than leak - if you understand what I mean.

What oil do you use? TWS or other?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Neil, i got my 2001 m5 in june 2007 with 79000 miles on the clock, after a couple of weeks i had to top up (1 litre TWS), i then took it for an inspection 1 at BMW with 80600 miles on the clock at the end of August and since then it has covered 5000 without needing a drop of the black stuff until today! I have an e34 m5 that drunk 1 litre every 800 miles or so when i was using it as adaily driver. Mine must be a freak or something cuz everyone else's m5 seems to be very thirsty!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hi,

2 M5's! No one could ever accuse you of not being an enthusiast! Nice.

Being post facelift (March 2000) as is mine it should be quite good with oil.
Although no heavy drinker it uses about 1 litre every 5k miles as has yours.
I am switching to Mobil 1 0w 40 this week as this is the same as BMW LL 5w 30 which is also recommended for our cars.
Will see if this reduces oil consumption, not that it is really anything to be concerned about.

Neil

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Neil, i grew up adoring the e34 m5, so to own now (i have had it since August 2004 but only put 6000 or so miles on it) is a real privelidge for me! It has been stuck in my garage now for almost 2.5 years only getting started and washed every other week. I keep saying to myself i should sell it and let someone else enjoy it but the dark side wont let me!!! Check out the my pics, the third one with my daughter is called "Beauty and the beasts".
P.S let me know how you get on with the 0w 40.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Valve cover bolt. Very typical and notorius, but unlikely to cause a quart every 500 miles or so. You don't state how much oil you are consuming, but I would say you would see smoke and smell burning oil if it was a significant contributor. As a guess, I would say NOT your #1 leak. M5's have a history of using oil- not all, but quite a few. I would say trying snugging it A LITTLE first and see if it goes away. You can buy the bolts seals cheap. Whatever you do, don't exceed the torque spec.
Interesting, thank you. I'd like to lift the big "thing" on top of the engine to see if the others are like this. Is this the vanos unit and is it a major job to unbolt and lift off, to get at what's underneath?

·
Registered
567 Posts
topper, it looks to me like you have a case of the notorious BMW V8 leaking valve cover gasket. They all seem to start leaking around 70-100k miles. Need to replace the valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
topper, it looks to me like you have a case of the notorious BMW V8 leaking valve cover gasket. They all seem to start leaking around 70-100k miles. Need to replace the valve cover gaskets.
Interesting. I read up on the procedure and it looks reasonably involved, but idiot-proof if I take my time. Out of interest, what other wear items might I look to replace while I've got all that stuff off the engine?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recently purchased a 2000 M5 with 47K. There is a noticeable oil burning smell. When I brought it back to the independent dealer/service center, they repaired a verey small leak by replacing the valve cover gasket. However, I'm still getting the smell (seems to be permeating through the ventilation ducts). Any ideas?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Is it just me or do I see coolant on top of the valve cover front?. *If* that is oil, then it leaked only one way and that is past the rubber grommet under the front valve cover bolt which is not likely, but also the easiest leak to fix. Does not necessariliy even require removal of the valve cover based upon what I see. I just did mine last week and it generally is in the spark plug valley and noy laying on top of the valve cover like that with what appears to be a greenish, antifreeze tint. I suspect coolant more so that oil based on theis limited picture. Anyone else see that?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure about the bolt, but my beast drinks about 1 quart every 400-600 miles. It is a daily driver, and gets a mix of street / freeway use.

I was running castrol 10w-60, prior to my inspection 2. It now has Mobil1 15w50, and I had to top off at 466mi. It could be my driving habits, the engine, or probably both.

BTW I have 66,700 miles on a '00 beast.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Topper...Completely off-topic; the crankcase vent hose in the pic looks to be collapsing and will need to be changed soon, and I'll bet the other side is in the same condition. More info can be found HERE

Reactions: topper

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Topper...Completely off-topic; the crankcase vent hose in the pic looks to be collapsing and will need to be changed soon, and I'll bet the other side is in the same condition. More info can be found HERE
Thank you! I had noticed that whilst poking about, but I didn't know it was important enough that whole threads had been written about it. I'll replace them and probably the oil separators at the same time.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Spotted a little oil around a bolt whilst the bonnet was up today. Took a photo (attached).

Is this a head bolt? Does it look very leaky? I wiped it dry and will monitor it, just curious to know if the photo looks like a problem.
From what I can gather it seems to be common.
I had the same bolt starting to sipped-out some oil.
And since I am picky about any kind of leaks on my car I had replaced the bolt. (check out this thread)

As far for the source of high oil consumption I doubt the bolt is the source.
Otherwise if all the oil consumed leaked out from that bolt, you will see pool of oil on the front bottom cover and most likely you're see a lot more oil trace in your engine bay.

Regardz,

J Irwan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts