BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just told by my independent shop that the factory rotors are $270/each.

Is this right? That sounds about the price for cross-drilled/slotted rotors?

What gives? Great shop, been using them for years, but $270 seems a bit much ... am I wrong?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I'm pissed ... I thought that sounded a bit odd ... I was expecting somewhere in the mid 100's, but not $270.

The best part, they decided to order and do it without even consulting me about the price.:3::mad:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Dont be pissed at the shop. They most likely ordered OEM, which are pricy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont be pissed at the shop. They most likely ordered OEM, which are pricy.
Not so much at the price, more at the fact that they didn't first consult me on it before doing it.

After all, if I didn't get the VW MAF's for them, they would order the $300 / each BMW MAF .

It's the principle of the fact, not the money.

·
Registered
167 Posts
$270 for OEM rotors are actually a pretty good price. My local dealer is $350, and the independent is $320.

Personally, if i told my shop to replace something, and they DIDN'T use OEM parts, i'd be quite unhappy.

·
Registered
944 Posts
get euro oem floating rotors,they got an alloy hub which is much lighter than usa oem.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I see your point, though. It's not about the price, but the fact that they ordered them without asking you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I see your point, though. It's not about the price, but the fact that they ordered them without asking you.
Retracting a few statements. For some reason I'd read that you'd gone to a dealer. Personally, if I authorize work on my vehicle I have a price upfront. If you told them to fix the brakes and didn't ask the price, the burden is on both of you. You can't fault a shop for using OEM parts. That's exactly what they should do unless you specify differently.

Imagine if they'd put Centrics, and by some odd dumb luck there was a problem. It'd be real easy for you to come back and say "what the heck are these non-oem parts doing on my car!?"

·
Registered
776 Posts
Has anyone used the Stoptech rotors?
A friend of mine who has on '01 M5 just got them installed last week. So far so good. He purchased the Centic Slotted Rotors from Dave Z.

·
Registered
944 Posts
A friend of mine who has on '01 M5 just got them installed last week. So far so good. He purchased the Centic Slotted Rotors from Dave Z.
do stoptech make an oem equal rotor that fits the bmw m5 single piston caliper because stoptech bbk rotor centre hub is to big for oem caliper.

·
Registered
597 Posts
$270 for OEM rotors are actually a pretty good price. My local dealer is $350, and the independent is $320.

Personally, if i told my shop to replace something, and they DIDN'T use OEM parts, i'd be quite unhappy.
I have to agree with the above. If a garage order anything other than OEM without consulting me I would not be very happy.
Surely if you ask the garage to do work then you are happy with them to replace items.
Having said that, whenever a car of mine gets booked in for some work, I always have a quote first so I know how much its gonna cost.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Time for me to shop for Rotors. BMW wants 1200 bucks for Front Brake Job.

I pretty much think I will take the Akebono or Axis ultimate pads. I also know I don't want OEM rotors, which I can get for $240 each
I also know I can get the stoptech one piece for $155 or $131 each - and I'm leaning towards 131, I'm not sure what slot does for me anyway (don't shoot me guys, I don't really track).

I also hear about the Euro OEM rotor that is lighter, anyone know the source or cost of it? and can anyone comment on that as well? so I can make a quick decision.

My 1st try will be to turn my rotors, anything has any reason against me trying to do so? so long as my thickness is higher than Min? I understand this is not SOP for BMW.

Thanks,

CWY

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have StopTech Slotted Rotors that I purchased from BeastPower. I got Fronts and Rears and Hawk HPS Brake Pads for $600 total. I installed them myself this weekend (easy job, strength required) and did the proper bedding procedures, which is necessary fun. They work and feel great so far. I have not tested them heavily yet but as far as everyday driving, they are great and have not made any noise at all.

So for half the price and twice the job go to BeastPower.com. Daniel will help you out. Also, they will look better than the plain rotors. And if you do not want to DIY then take them to a place like JustBrakes and they will install them for around $100.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Stoptech Rotors are actually Centric blanks. I got all four Centric rotors from car parts warehouse for $360.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts