BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was the first time I wanted to detail and wax my M5 which I have for 8 days now. I washed it 4 times since I got it but quickly since it rained all week.

Today as i waxed the paint felt so rough i mean very rough like 1000 grit sandpaper. I then notice my entire car feels this way so I had to fix it, took few hours but now its good.

It feels as if the car was in a bodyshop or can cosmoline do this to the paint when they ship then over?

I used 3M Blue Clay and then I buffed with 3M Polish with waffle foam pad then glazed the waxed it looks mint but was 4 hours of hard work.

another issue I see acid rain marks on the hood and trunk I need to call some detailing experts to see if this can be fixed.

So im curious if my car just had overspray or cosmoline on it. I did notice two very small dust specks on the paint on the drivers side door near the bottom and there doesnt appear to be paintwork evidence on the jams or anywhere else so it must be from the factory these little dist nibs. When I clayed the paint the color was black and dark brown/yellow for the debris that was lifted.

·
Registered
241 Posts
re

sounds unusual to be honest...if the dealer preped the car with glaze and wax, there is a chance that the wax attracted a lot of pollen and it became gritty as a result...i have seen this on my dads new lexus since he leaves it outside...the pollen in that floats really sticks to the paint especially if its waxed and has a gunky layer( i think pollen is supposed to stick by nature)...on my car, i use pinnacle ultra fine swirl remover preceded by clay with a porter cable 7424 buffer. ...i then use zaino as i think zaino sealant has given me the best results..you can zaino as many coats as you like...the 3m products are great but i like my system better...have someone inspect your body panels---my car had been repsrayed by the dealer and i went through a lot of pain with bmw before they had the car repainted at a factory facility...good luck

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100% sure its not pollen and the car is garaged. I use the 3M stuff since I get tons of samples from the Rep who is a friend. Pollen tends to be sticky and can be removed with some solvent cleaner on a rag, this stuff was not coming off and I had to clay each panel twice, buff etc to make it feel smooth.

I never used the stuff you recomend? send me a link as to where I can pick some up. I have the Porter cable buffer but I like the heavier Black/Decker with the larger pads.

I have tons of comercial grade stuff from Pro, Malco and 3m so i pick and choose what i need.

Black is killer to keep up with.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Get it right back to the dealer don't qwait any longer dont do anything to it.....show them and dont take ANY excuses for the ****e finish on your car......DO IT NOW.....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Get it right back to the dealer don't qwait any longer dont do anything to it.....show them and dont take ANY excuses for the ****e finish on your car......DO IT NOW.....
+2 Brand new car shouldn't have the problems you're dealing with in the first place. Something is amiss.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Im calling dealer tom

3 spots the hood has issues in the clear, the trunk, and i see a spot on the drivers door, the door looks like bird poop that sat for a long time and ate into the clear

i wonder if this is fixable withour painting i wont let anyone paint it its too new.

·
Registered
241 Posts
re

i had a major paint issue with my dealer in illinois...i finally got in touch with very helpful people at bmw na...let me know if you need help

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brainblade what issues did you have and how were they solved?

I am hoping my issues can be solved with a proper compounding of the clearcoat but I dont know. I dont want to have anything repainted thats certain

·
Registered
241 Posts
re

i had clear coat on the hood...i did not realize it until my 1200 mile service but the roof, rear 1/4 and right rear door had been painted byt the dealer and the job was pretty bad...dealer initially denied it but i dealt with bmwna and they took care of it for me...reapinted certain areas and it looks factory--you cant tell...not the best choice for me but its really all i could deal with. i would take your back immediately.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed thanks to me. Dealer detailed it and didnt get the marks out. I buffed with 3M mico compound with white waffle pad its perfect now, glad these marks were not too deep in the clear. Seems to have been water mineral deposits.

SO glad i still have my detailing tools all these years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts