BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corvette C6 Z06 runs 7:43 at the Ring:

From Chief Engineer Dave Hill's mouth:

After a long discussion on all the various times of different (Non-Corvette) cars around the ring, using 8:00 as the benchmark for "world class" performance Dave announced:

A 2005 C6 turned the 'Ring in 7:59! (yes 7:59, NOT 7:56!!)

A 2004 C5 ZO6 did it in the already known 7:56

and the 2006 ZO6, driven by Jan Magnusson drove it in........

7:43

Dave said this time was already available on the net so it was not part of the August embargo.

Also it was NOT the Blue Devil.

Some pics:
http://www.corvetteforum.de/thread.php?threadid=16358&sid=0ade3231bb781b7c84c5bb6365c88878

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Danes! It's all about the driver! :viking:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
So they say. Im waiting for Sportauto to drive it. Horst von Saurma drove C6 in the latest issue, time 8.15 min (8.05 min for Carrera S).

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just_me said:
So they say. Im waiting for Sportauto to drive it. Horst von Saurma drove C6 in the latest issue, time 8.15 min (8.05 min for Carrera S).
Did that C6 have a manual transmission and the Z51 package?

·
Registered
518 Posts
The 2006 Corvette Z06 has a top speed of 198 mph.

The new LS7 is rated at 505 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque.

427 article

Some links to check

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2006/

http://www.corvetteracing.com/

http://www.americanlemans.com/home/index.aspx

The dry sump lubrication system is located by the passenger side of the windsheild in the picture below.

The aluminum chassis saves 136 pounds when compared with the C6's steel chassis. The new Z06 is only available with a fixed roof like the C5 Z06 and the 1963 Z06.

The 505 LS7 is hand-built at this new facility in Wixom, Mi. The Performance Build Center.

Corvette C6-R

·
Registered
881 Posts
Stealthm5 said:
It's still a very bland design! :hihi:
Have you looked at the recent BMW 'efforts'? And you call the Corvette bland? The new Z06 will be a very special car, and for the money, the performance bargain of the decade. Off to the Eye Doctor for you, me'lad.
Bish

·
Registered
455 Posts
I did not compare them to BMW. Perhaps you need the appointment?

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that the Corvette looks virtually the same as the previous one and the interior is appaling. In my opinion they should have let Italdesign get on with it ala:

ok?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Frankly Jack I think that Ital design is terrible. It's extremely 'gaudy' at best, and the car would be totally impractical in production. Why? The 'greenhouse' would bake the occupants in short order in any country that actually received sunlight; (perhaps the UK would be fine. LOL). Also, not so sure about the safety of the roof given its design. Lastly, the roof alone would probably cost what the whole new Z06 will retail for. Just my opinion, ymmv of course.
Bish

·
Registered
455 Posts
Fair enough, just that it would be nice to see chevrolet push the boat out a bit. Yeh the glasshouse is a little over the top (pun not intended) but they could have been a bit more adventurous with the body design. Having said that, the chances of rhd over here are pretty slim anyway so... :confused2

·
Registered
881 Posts
I do agree Jack that I wish GM had changed the C6 design more than they did versus the C5. Regardless it is still decent looking imho, although another $500-$1000 spent on the interior would bring it up to European standards in regards to the plastics used, etc. Nevertheless, for the money, (God how I hate that phrase), it is a performance bargain. Why it won't be made in a RHD version is nuts. The car would sell far more in the UK with RHD even with petrol at 1.00 GBP/litre, since for a car with 400-500 bhp it gets incredible fuel economy. Using an imperial gallon, the Corvette will return approximately 30 mpg at 70-80 mph on the motorway. It's even not too bad around town if you leave the 'skip shift' feature intact.
Bish

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've actually seen a new Corvette Z06 and didn't think the interior was bad or great. Corvette Racing asked for fixed headlights and a single intake on the new C6. The new C6 is five inches shorter and one inch narrower than the C5.

Here is a C5 Z06

C6 Z06

·
Registered
518 Posts
What is a shame?

The C6 that "EVO" tested costs £45,000. It comes standard with the Z51 performance package.

The European-spec C6 Z06 has 511 (DIN) hp.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Motor Trend: (Oct. 2005) C6 Z06”

0-60 in 3.7 sec.
Skidpad = 1.02 g
¼ mile: 11.5 sec. @ 127

Car & Driver (Oct 2005) “C6 Z06”

0-60 in 3.6 sec.
0-100 in 7.9 sec.
0-150 in 17 sec.
Skidpad = 0.98g
¼ mile: 11.7 sec @ 125 MPH

Motor Trend: (June 2005) “Ford GT vs. Ferrari F430”
0-60:
Ford GT: 3.6
Ferrari F430: 3.8

1/4 mile:
Ford GT: [email protected]
Ferrari F430: [email protected]

Motor Trend: (June 2003) “Dodge Viper SRT-10”

0-60: 3.9
1/4 Mile: 11.8 @ 123.6

Road & Track: MB McLaren SLR (? 2005 )

[email protected] sec
1/4 [email protected] sec @126.1
[email protected] sec

·
Registered
928 Posts
Stealthm5 said:

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that the Corvette looks virtually the same as the previous one and the interior is appaling. In my opinion they should have let Italdesign get on with it ala:

ok?
Yikes...Liberace's Corvette perhaps..

·
Registered
928 Posts
Stealthm5 said:

ok?
Yikes...Liberace's Corvette perhaps..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts