BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the correct torque specifications for the stock OEM 19s?

I have H&R 12mm wheel spacers (with the extended lugs).

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it's 88.5 ft/lb or 120NM
Even though I have the H&R extended lugs (and no longer the OEM ones), it's still 88.5 ft/lb?

·
Registered
689 Posts
88.5 lb/ft? Who came up with an odd number like that? I doubt that is the correct spec. Doesn't seem all that tight to me. I've always gone with 110 lb/ft.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
580 Posts
88.5 lb/ft? Who came up with an odd number like that? I doubt that is the correct spec. Doesn't seem all that tight to me. I've always gone with 110 lb/ft.
It's straight from the BMW owners manual. The actual spec is 120NM.....conversion places at 88.5

110 is way to high for aluminum wheels, your lucky to not have damaged the wheel.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys!

After doing some additional research, I found the actual torque specs in the Owner's Manual.

They are indeed 88.5 lb/ft!

Attachments

·
2,132 Posts
I do mine at 100ft lbs... Bmw jack kit comes with a tq wrench and its set to around 100ft lbs.. 88 too loose for me personally, comfortable with 100.. I always extra tighten my lugs above what to call for around 10ft lb anyways

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do mine at 100ft lbs... Bmw jack kit comes with a tq wrench and its set to around 100ft lbs.. 88 too loose for me personally, comfortable with 100.. I always extra tighten my lugs above what to call for around 10ft lb anyways
Are there any inadvertent consequences or potential damage that can occur from over-torquing to 100 ft/lb?

I'm a little too hesitant to go over BMW's 88.5 ft/lb.

·
2,132 Posts
Are there any inadvertent consequences or potential damage that can occur from over-torquing to 100 ft/lb?

No, bmws 88.5 tq has a error i believe of +/- 5ft lb anyways.. A few extra lbs of tq will do nothing.. It takes alot of tq to start strechen these bolts.. The most important factor is that all the bolts are uniformly tq down with the same ft lbs.. Ive had my bolt at arounnd 150+ from my local tire shop, and no strecthing occured.
Plus the tq wrench that came with the bmw jack kit is tied to my vin @ 100ft lb so i am fine with that.

Now if we talk about small tq values and more sensitive parts like spark plugs, i wouldnt be so easy on over tq'ing..

I wont do 120+mph pn 88ftlbs, i sleep better knowing there at 100..

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, bmws 88.5 tq has a error i believe of +/- 5ft lb anyways.. A few extra lbs of tq will do nothing.. It takes alot of tq to start strechen these bolts.. The most important factor is that all the bolts are uniformly tq down with the same ft lbs.. Ive had my bolt at arounnd 150+ from my local tire shop, and no strecthing occured.
Plus the tq wrench that came with the bmw jack kit is tied to my vin @ 100ft lb so i am fine with that.

Now if we talk about small tq values and more sensitive parts like spark plugs, i wouldnt be so easy on over tq'ing..

I wont do 120+mph pn 88ftlbs, i sleep better knowing there at 100..
Thanks for the explanation!

I think I'll re-torque my lugs to 100 ft/lbs; better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My turner motorsports spacer installation instruction state to torque wheels to 90 FT. Lbs
Perfect! 90 it is!

Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts

To go to 90-95 not much, the concern would be damage to the bolt, stretch, or to the conical seat machined into the wheel. Highly doubt the bolts are that sensitive to stress. There are a few threads here where the lug bolts were sheared off...most believe the cause was over torquing.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
To go to 90-95 not much, the concern would be damage to the bolt, stretch, or to the conical seat machined into the wheel. Highly doubt the bolts are that sensitive to stress. There are a few threads here where the lug bolts were sheared off...most believe the cause was over torquing.
I agree. I've been using 90 for years. It can ruin your day. Imagine loosing control on a 2 lane road and hitting someone head on. Here is a post I found on another forum.
My HWY 1 Trip Gone Awry!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have always tightened mine to the specification of 90lb/ft and never had issues.

Most important is to not forget to tighten all the lug nut and to follow correct sequence, and of course to make sure your Torque wrench is working properly!!

Buddy of mine in high school auto shop class was so excited to put new wheels on the car that he forgot to torque one of his wheels, he only hand tightened them, guess what happened when school got out!!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree. I've been using 90 for years. It can ruin your day. Imagine loosing control on a 2 lane road and hitting someone head on. Here is a post I found on another forum.
My HWY 1 Trip Gone Awry!
Wow! That's pretty scary; glad no one was hurt or injured!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts