BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some trouble finding the right time part number. Looks like there are some different versions...?

I have a standard US spec ‘91 M5.

Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
hello ! yes ! there are 2 part numbers .... the hub is the same ( i think) , but the ABS wheel is diferent for sure
check if you can see the part number on the part on your car... or check bmwfans , realoem etc with your Vin number

·
Registered
495 Posts
Does anyone know the correct part # here? Having difficulty figuring it out.
This will be the correct hub for a 91-M5 if the strut housings have not been replaced.
Wheel hub with bearing, P/N: 31 21 2 226 640, ABS-D=97MM, up to 11/1991,

If the strut housing has been replaced (one or both sides) the hub would be P/N 31 21 2 226 904, ABS- D=83MM 11/1991.
However the 904 hub is no longer available from BMW.
My preferred aftermarket hub as a replacement for the D=83mm ...904 hub is the SKF BR930349
The SKF hub is thick enough (same as OE hub) to be drilled to install the rotor pins removed from you original hubs.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Attached are some Images of the D=83 hubs for the M5.
It would seem the OE hub is made by SKF but they no longer supply BMW with the rotor pin version.
The FAG hub was sent to me by Schmeidmann as an M5 OE hub and of course it does not have the rotor pins of the original OE hub.
The SKF hub was half the cost!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

So can I measure some part of the hubs on my car to see which kind they are...?

·
Registered
495 Posts
The segmented section on the back side of the hub is the ABS wheel that determines which hub is needed for your car.
Early up to 11/91 should be D=97mm and after 11/91 should be D=83mm.
Unfortunately the hub needs to be pulled to expose the ABS wheel.
There may be another opportunity to compare the BMW part number on the strut as they are different between the early and late model versions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a casting number on the back of the hubs on my car. It says “A06”. On the oppposite side of the hub, it says “SKF”. Does A06 correspond to anything?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Based on my car’s build date (9/90) and that the strut tubes seem to be as old as the rest of the car, I’m taking a chance on a new 97mm hub (640 part number, from SKF), and we’ll see how it goes.

·
Registered
495 Posts
first diag shows US spec M5 and is Euro 3.8 M5... 83 mm hub is nla, 97 mm is the replacement 640 hub and 266 97mm dust cap ) US spec.
FYI, The 83mm and 97mm hubs are not interchangeable. The struts are different with the ABS pickup located for the specific ABS ring diameter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts