BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Moving parts need breaking in time to adjust to each other. To Ensure that your vehicle continues to provide optimized economy of operation throughout an extended service life, we request that you devote careful attention to the following section.

Do not use the driving programs 5 and 6,
refer to Drivelogic on page 57, during break in.

New subsection of the break in period entitled "Engine and Differential"

Subsection:"Up to 1200 miles/2000 km"

Drive at changing engine and driving speeds, however do not exceedd 5500 rpm oor 105 mph.

Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the transmission's kick down mode during these initial miles.

Subsection: Froim 1200 to 3000 miles

The engine and driving speed can gradually be increased up to a continuous vehicle sped of 135 mph. Only drive a5t top speed briefly, eg. when passing.

Using P500 and P500S is OK if the above mentioned procedure is followed.

For Europe it states the same:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The rules to run in a brand new BMW M5 is the following:[/font]

• <2000 km: not over 5500 rpm or over 170 km/h. No kick-down or engage the gas pedal fully.
  • Between 2000 and 5000 km: Gradually increase the revolutions and the speed, but not over 220 km/h. Do this only briefly, for example during overtaking. Do not use the modes D5, S5 and S6. Do not use Launch Control.

http://www.m5board.com/articles.php?id=34&page=4

·
Registered
223 Posts
As an experiment, and based on what I've read--this is what I did when I got my Beast today (6 miles on the odometer). Took it down 280 South, hit triple digits and 7K on the RPM. Downshift pretty hard, coasted in 3rd (55mph) and then floored it to triple digits (did this 3 times coming back up 280 North). I also had all of the settings on max.

The experiment? I heard/read that the engines need to be driven very hard in the first 100 miles to set it right. On my 996TT, I followed the break in, and I needed a quart of oil every 500 miles (now about every 1,000 miles--I'm at 25,000).

We'll see if this blows up the Beast's engine or if this actually works as suggested. If this sounds totally stupid, let me know!

·
10,445 Posts
does anyone know, are these engines run on a dyno before installation? For both run in and power measurement/confirmation?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm picking up my beast on thursday and I asked my dealer about the break in procedure and he said just what the owners manual says except that for the first 300 miles don't go above 85mph (the manual says 105). Anybody know why this would be?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Thanks..

i have a question about the second period of break in between 2000-5000 km, is there any specific rpm? does the car must below 5500 rpm? or you can drive at any rpm?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Drive it Hard said:
I'm picking up my beast on thursday and I asked my dealer about the break in procedure and he said just what the owners manual says except that for the first 300 miles don't go above 85mph (the manual says 105). Anybody know why this would be?
This is to allow the tires to be properly worn in... new tires always have the little "hairs" from the molding process. In some cases these can significantly effect traction, hydroplaning, and high-speed handling. I'm sure there are many other soft parts (rubber, plastic, etc) that have a similar requirements, but tires are the biggest I can think of.

·
Registered
201 Posts
alsahher said:
Thanks..

i have a question about the second period of break in between 2000-5000 km, is there any specific rpm? does the car must below 5500 rpm? or you can drive at any rpm?
No specific rpm's. it says to graually increase rpms until 3100mi/5000km.

I have been increasing max rpms by about 500 every 300 miles. In other words, after 1200 I increased to 6000 rpms then 6500 then 7000 where I am at now at about 1800 miles. I have exceeded that a few times briefly.

Essentially, they don't want you to redline it at 1201 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On M cars the break in line is crap. All M engines are pre-broken in (and have had the oil changed after running) before they are installed in the cars. For the first 500 miles you should take it easy to let the clutchs and brakes seat properly. Other than that I've had conversations with a factory engineer, and several techs, his comment was "to drive the piss out of it" and that was from brand new with 60 miles.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
swest2507 said:
On M cars the break in line is crap. All M engines are pre-broken in (and have had the oil changed after running) before they are installed in the cars. For the first 500 miles you should take it easy to let the clutchs and brakes seat properly. Other than that I've had conversations with a factory engineer, and several techs, his comment was "to drive the piss out of it" and that was from brand new with 60 miles.
Don't do the 1200 mile service either. The engine, tranny, and diff are already broken in and it is a waste of time to change fluids for no reason. ouich

Pleaaze, think about following the break in procedures. There is a reason. I am sure it reduces warranty claims, so this means the car should be broken in for it to operate properly without breaking down. If you don't care about the car, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I beleive BMW have created the break in procedure and service steps because it will be good for the car.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gustav said:
I beleive BMW have created the break in procedure and service steps because it will be good for the car.

I'm all for following the break-in period but I'm sure BMW is realistic about what they expect from E60 owners. Let's be honest, could anybody go 3,100 miles without hitting that little M button. I know I couldn't. ;>)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
tmacsilverm5 said:
I'm all for following the break-in period but I'm sure BMW is realistic about what they expect from E60 owners. Let's be honest, could anybody go 3,100 miles without hitting that little M button. I know I couldn't. ;>)
There is no reason not to hit the M button, just make sure that it is not programmed to trigger settings that the break in procedure recommends be avoided. After 1,200 miles, it is not terribly difficult to abide by the guidelines. The first 1,200 miles require scrupulous attention to avoid letting the revs exceed 5,500.

·
Registered
641 Posts
MKRocks said:
As an experiment, and based on what I've read--this is what I did when I got my Beast today (6 miles on the odometer). Took it down 280 South, hit triple digits and 7K on the RPM. Downshift pretty hard, coasted in 3rd (55mph) and then floored it to triple digits (did this 3 times coming back up 280 North). I also had all of the settings on max.

The experiment? I heard/read that the engines need to be driven very hard in the first 100 miles to set it right. On my 996TT, I followed the break in, and I needed a quart of oil every 500 miles (now about every 1,000 miles--I'm at 25,000).

We'll see if this blows up the Beast's engine or if this actually works as suggested. If this sounds totally stupid, let me know!
What I find interesting is that there seems to be at least two schools of thought. I have read the break-in parameters but this thought that the motor needs some early stress comes up frequently. Does anyone know the answer to this riddle? They obviously both cannot be correct.
:confused2

·
Registered
547 Posts
What I think is interesting, is if you watch the Fifth Gear - Tiff Needel video on the M5. The car was given to them from BMW (UK?) to test, he must have revved the nuts off it. And it only had 1450miles on the clock (pretty sure you can see that in the video).

I think 3100 miles is far too many miles for running in - really over the top!

I guess we'll all start to see how our cars are hanging together in a couple of years time, there have already been a few transmission failures on the board. Not sure if there have been any engine failures as yet?

·
Registered
722 Posts
MKRocks said:
...If this sounds totally stupid, let me know!
I've heard that sort of logic before, and it's not too hard to locate some support:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

However, do I trust the young guy depicted on this web site (what, maybe 30 years old) who's done this to 300 engine's so far "without a problem," whatever that means, or do I go with the much more extensive experience of a performance car company like BMW?

I want to drive my expensive V-10 engine 100,000 or more miles. I'll go with BMW on this one, and break-in the car by the book.

If we are to judge by anecdotal comparisons, my E39 M5 was broken in gently, and it burned very little oil.

Richard

·
Registered
354 Posts
Its by the book for me too. It may be overly conservative but I'd rather over do it than underdo it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What's my risk?

Well, a few times during the first 1000 miles (not many), my M5's automatic program didn't switch gears until almost 7000 RPM. This has happened probably only 4 or 5 times during the first 1000 miles. What risk do you really think I have of having done something bad to the engine?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts