BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'02 M5 - 354/05SW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm having a helluva a time trying to find the correct size/part number for my '02 M5. I don't have to buy OEM, but I need to understand the size and specs (is this an H9 size 95R?).

Real OEM displays the following part numbers as compatible. Confusing to understand which one is for my car. The information below says AGM needs to be coded. I want to avoid that and don't have a method with which to do it, so I assume the correct item is either the non-AGM 90AH 61212353810 or 110AH 61212357334?

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
No.DescriptionSupp.Qty From Up To Part NumberPriceNotes
i----------------------------------------
Standard batteries can always be
replaced by AGM batteries with the same
specifications.
Following either type of replacement,
the vehicle registration process in
ISTA/P must be supplemented by a vehicle
coding procedure, which is carried out
as follows:
----------------------------------------
Read out battery size and registration
from onboard electrical system:
ISTA->Service functions->Body->Voltage
supply->Register_battery replacement->
Test plan
----------------------------------------
01EP Battery 70AH161212353806
01EP Battery 80AH161212353808
01EP Battery 90AH161212353810
01EP Battery 70AHAGM161212353811
01EP Battery 92AHAGM161212353812
01EP Battery 110AH161212357334

This should be easier!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have replaced the battery twice since I got the M5 in 2008. Both times I just went online to the local auto parts store and bought the one that it said fit my car. Installed and didn’t do anything special. First one lasted over 10 years. Shouldn’t be anything complicated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I worked in the parts department of a dealer up until about a month ago, the 334 is the way to go. The 810 is too small for this application and I believe the AGM option would be an 814. That all being said if you insist on going with an OE part it is a 334, although all BMW batteries are just standard Deka batteries with BMW stickers.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
The information below says AGM needs to be coded. I want to avoid that and don't have a method with which to do it,
This is just general and there are things that break this, but when you read something in RealOEM that says ISTA ignore it. It is a general statement from updated info on the site that more than likely does not apply. ISTA was not around when this car was made. These cars also don't have the feature of registered batteries, which is suppose to give you longer life by adjusting the over charge based on age of battery. It is a fine detail that they did not even get working correctly for at least the next generation car.
If you want an AGM get an AGM, there are some advantages although the cost is much more.
You have the physical sizes correct H9 or 95R. All H9 are the same exact size as are all 95s with the R indicating which side the positive terminal is on.
Always go for the most powerful battery in the size class within reason but your only choices here are reasonable. In the long run that is likely your best buy even if it costs a bit more. More power also likely means it will last longer, or seem to anyway.
Batteries are really not that complicated but they sure make them out to be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed a genuine BMW AGM battery in my 2000 M5. It is a great battery and I will be staying with AGM.
If you are interested I could get the part number.

·
Registered
'02 M5 - 354/05SW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All, thank you for the helpful suggestions. I tried for days to get the 334 part number and just ended up going to the local Autozone and buying a Duralast Gold (H9-DLG), 950CCA. Installed in a matter of minutes. Nice and easy.

The battery that came out was an 850CCA Deka installed on 01/2014. Maybe the lower CCA figure contributed to its demise.

Next time, I'll try and make the AGM work. I used AGM on a previous vehicle and the process was straightforward because I could code it in. Sounds like that step isn't required here, which is great.

·
Registered
'02 M5 - 354/05SW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just installed a genuine BMW AGM battery in my 2000 M5. It is a great battery and I will be staying with AGM.
If you are interested I could get the part number.
I would love to have the part number to reference here for future use!

·
Registered
919 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts