BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with them? I'm quite impressed with what I see in the video below for automotive DIY.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
They are handy but hardly a replacement for all air tools. I would only get one that is variable speed.

I think you would get much more use out of a much smaller cordless driver that you can use on just about anything to speed things along.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use my electric impacts for almost every job that I do. I have a small one that I use for 1/4" drives and a larger one that I use for 3/8" drives. Anything bigger than that and I either use a breaker bar or air tools.

Power tools take a substantial amount of time off most jobs. Be careful with torque specs though.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have been using this guy for ~3 years now and have yet to find a fastener too tight to remove.
Pros: torque capacity and battery life
Cons: Size and weight. This limits use in tight areas

I liked it so much that after a year of use and I also got their 3/8" impact.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
s

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Electric impacts are your best friend. I have not come across one stubborn bolt the makita big bear (I gave it the name bc its so brawny) can't handle. For tighter places, I call its little brother. If you need finer control still, get their impact driver too.

Reactions: zed.inc

·
Registered
77 Posts
Extremely handy to have in the tool box! Have been using a Milwaukee (detent pin model) picked up for wheel swaps at DEs that also used for full suspension rebuild on an E46.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I use the same ones
Only the best for the M5 bro! :biggrinbounce: You can tell which I use the most by how dirty they're.

In before Rao's "unseemly" comments. hiha

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Well it is unseemly to see M5 owners behaving in this manner.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I wouldnt call these the best, but they're certainly good
Probably not for Daytona pit crew, but they're certainly professional grade enough for the home garage. :)

I only wish they made an electric rachet for extreme tight places.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have the Craftsman impact wrench, bought it for ~$90 on sale a while back. It's certainly not at the same level as some of the more expensive ones listed above, but it does almost everything I need it to do.

The only downside is short battery life - I can use it to swap 4 wheels on my M5, but you can tell it struggles a bit taking the last one off. Having an extra battery would be a good idea.

I also have the Craftsman cordless ratchet (xmas gift) but I have yet to use it. My dad seems to like it though.

Hot Rod did a comparo of some cheap cordless impacts vs. a snap on, it's a good read - How Well Do Cordless Impact Guns Work? - Hot Rod Magazine

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Probably not for Daytona pit crew, but they're certainly professional grade enough for the home garage. :)

I only wish they made an electric rachet for extreme tight places.

Ridgid has a ratchet head for its multi-tool.

Has anyone use the new Rigid Impact Gun yet? not the impact driver

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have the 1/2" craftsman one. With the lithium battery it actually works really well but I wish it was more compact so I could use it for some tough suspension bolts. I tried an air ratchet for them once and was lucky it had no torque 'cause I got my thumb stuck between the trigger and a suspension part.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts