BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
06 M5 Black Sapphire SMG7
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
First time poster here, new owner of an E60M5 (FINALLY!) and ever since I brought it home a couple weeks ago, the fan has not turned off once. Naturally, it runs after shutoff since its still a bit warm here in OH but even in the morning on a cold engine, the fan starts up with the engine. Im thinking its a sensor somewhere but I am relatively new to Bimmer's so I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey Guys,
First time poster here, new owner of an E60M5 (FINALLY!) and ever since I brought it home a couple weeks ago, the fan has not turned off once. Naturally, it runs after shutoff since its still a bit warm here in OH but even in the morning on a cold engine, the fan starts up with the engine. Im thinking its a sensor somewhere but I am relatively new to Bimmer's so I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
I’ve had mine stay on for an additional 5-8 min after hard driving or hot days.

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's roughly how long mine stays on especially on the hotter days. However, from the moment of cold start in the morning, the fan is running, always on. Even if it's cold and I don't have the a/c on or any other accessories. I'm kinda assuming that it's a faulty temp sensor somewhere. Anyone ever seen that? I have no service alerts or CEL either...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still struggling to figure this out. Might just end up purchasing INPA unless someone can lend some knowledge...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Could be the fan itself or the radiator fan switch. The fan shouldn't start running with the engine unless the a/c is ON or radiator temperature is over 45c, if a/c ON expect to see 15% speed, when radiator temp over 45 fan runs at 28-30% and speed % climbs up as radiator temp increases.

Better to invest on the k-dcan cable and scan her and go from there, to monitor temp, sensors and fan speed values.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be the fan itself or the radiator fan switch. The fan shouldn't start running with the engine unless the a/c is ON or radiator temperature is over 45c, if a/c ON expect to see 15% speed, when radiator temp over 45 fan runs at 28-30% and speed % climbs up as radiator temp increases.

Better to invest on the k-dcan cable and scan her and go from there, to monitor temp, sensors and fan speed values.
I just ordered a cable and after a few hours of fruitless googling, I am left with no software. Every link I clicked and every download I looked at seemed to be fraught with malware so I will have to keep looking. I cant afford to spend hundreds right now since I just spent several thousand getting my beast roadworthy. The shop said they would be finished with the starter friday at the earliest, tuesday at the latest. Will update when I have more info. Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts