BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need help on this one. My wife was stranded for several hours on the highway yesterday; the temp guage was in the red, and the message was about coolant temperature. When I got there to assist her, having bought two gallons of coolant, lo and behold,the plastic coolant tank was FULL. What is going on? Does this mean the water pump has gone out? All the belts seem to work, so I can't figure out what is causing the overheating. Any competent diagnosis would be appreciated.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thermostat not opening? Normally, if they fail, they fail in the open position but maybe worth investigating anyway.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Guys, I need help on this one. My wife was stranded for several hours on the highway yesterday; the temp guage was in the red, and the message was about coolant temperature. When I got there to assist her, having bought two gallons of coolant, lo and behold,the plastic coolant tank was FULL. What is going on? Does this mean the water pump has gone out? All the belts seem to work, so I can't figure out what is causing the overheating. Any competent diagnosis would be appreciated.
Could also be a false indication - a lot of guys have had their gauge go into the red, cycling the key brought everything back to normal.

·
8,369 Posts
It could be the thermostat, it could be the radiator, it could be the water pump, it is also possible that your radiator fan is defective.

I suggest pulling the stored fault codes, see what you codes you get and start from there

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
It could be the thermostat, it could be the radiator, it could be the water pump, it is also possible that your radiator fan is defective.

I suggest pulling the stored fault codes, see what you codes you get and start from there
Good advice.

Also, if the water hoses are hot and full, the tstat is open.

On the highway (or about 30 mph), you are cooling the rad with incoming air, not the fans. AC also puts a load on the motor, so turning that off will help if the issue turns out to be heat.

But if the car ran fine and no loss of coolant anywhere, I am guessing it is electrical gremlin.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
No Code = No Advice, sorry.

Not trying to be mean, but if you look at the range of responses, there is simply nothing useful we can give you except a list of 5-6 items that will cost $1-2K to fix.

Pull the code(s) and we'll narrow it down to 1 or 2 for you :)

d-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts