BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen to their M5 and what actions, if any, were needed....also, to see whether or not this is a "common" occurance that BMW is aware of, etc.

So this weekend after returning from a day trip out Rt. 80W, about a mile from home I notice that the coolant temp gauge is to the far right, BEYOND the red zone!!! :eek:oohhh: However, there are no lights or warning signals. :confused2
Also, the oil temp indicator was in the middle of the field. (Not sure if this is relevant, but thought the more info the better).
When I got home, I immediately checked under the hood and car itself to see if anything was leaking or there was any steam coming from the engine bay. Zip, Nada, Nothing!!

Mind you, I just had the car in for Inspection 1 last week, and everything had checked out okay...or so I was told! Anyway, prior to this happening I had noticed on one or more occasions that the coolant temp gauge did not even make it to the mid-point during normal operation.

I'm completely puzzled by this and hope it's something as simple as a faulty relay or sending unit that's easily replaced...On the other hand, I'm worried that a pump or fan has failed and I'll be left stranded someplace should this thing decide to blow...:crying:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS- I washed (and accidentally shrunk my BMW car cover...) ouichyes, I can hear the laughter already!!. Any way to "reverse" this?? Or should I just go get another one?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
This happened to me as well on my '01 with about 34k on it. It ended up being a faulty thermostat sensor and the unit was replaced along with the thermostat under warranty. Fairly common from what I understand. I would not worry about any internal damage as you were intelligent enough to use your common sense to see everything else was normal and running fine.

As far as the cover goess, hahahahaha, j/k. I have done the same exact thing before. I do not think it is going to expand to the point where you can get it on the car again so you may want to buy a new cover. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I have had the temp. guage go into the red only once. This was caused by a very warm day in stop and go traffic. It turns out that this was prior to the recall of the electric cooling fans for the M5.

After running at higher speeds, the temperature came back down. The problem completely went away after the fan was replaced by BMW.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts