BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago I found my father a 1993 m5. The temperature would barely read, as in, it would only move a tiny amount, occasionally, even when the car was fully warmed up. I replaced the temperature sensors. And I replaced the actual temp gauge in the engine display cluster. I still have the same problem. Could the board of the cluster be the problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar issue with my M5 which I had bought non-running. The coolant temp gauge was just dead, it wouldn't move. After a bunch of research I found that the Hex Code on the coding plug can be a culprit.

I was able to find a guy named Moritz who goes by EEk28 on most forums who was able to take my hex code dump and fix it somehow. That got my coolant temp gauge up and running again. I still have some problems with the cluster and haven't been able to use it in the car yet, but Moritz's Hex Code fix definitely solved the coolant temp gauge problem.

If you need help with figuring out how to read your hex code dump so that you can send it to Moritz, just let me know. I can walk you through the steps I went through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your temp gauge is completely dead and never moves at all, it's likely the coding plug's hex code, and I'd be surprised if any of those repair outfits are capable of fixing that. If it does sometimes show life then it's possible that it's another issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It moves a tiny bit, but not regularly. Any suggestions? Could that still be related to the hex code?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts