BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have some type of coolant leak.

It looks to be coming from the front of the engine, on the passenger side.

Could this be the water pump? and what is my best course of action?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hobbez said:
...some type of coolant leak...
Not sure exactly what you're asking - help with identifying the liquid, or indentifying the source of the leak.

Possible aqueous liquids include engine coolant, washer fluid, intensive washer fluid, and condensation from the air conditioner. Once you know what the liquid is, you can narrow down the source.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ELEVENS said:
Not sure exactly what you're asking - help with identifying the liquid, or indentifying the source of the leak.

Possible aqueous liquids include engine coolant, washer fluid, intensive washer fluid, and condensation from the air conditioner. Once you know what the liquid is, you can narrow down the source.
Just checked and it's the engine coolant, found a puddle of it under the car and when I turned the car on, I get "Check Coolant Level". Trying to find the source of the leak.

Under the hood it looks like the coolant sprayed out a bit as there is some light green splatter/dried up looking stuff in a few places.

·
10,458 Posts
radiators are common failures on V8 e39's. I haven't seen a lot of M5 owners reporting rad failure, but it could just be not a lot of high milage samples yet. What side is the leak on?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mottati said:
radiators are common failures on V8 e39's. I haven't seen a lot of M5 owners reporting rad failure, but it could just be not a lot of high milage samples yet. What side is the leak on?
Looks to be coming from the passengers side. :sad1:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

I let the car sit over night, and the leak seems very slow, it only speeds up when the engine is running. The coolant tank is still 3/4 or so full.

Would it be safe to try to fill up the coolant and drive the car to the shop (about 10 miles away)?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hobbez, I am no professer but I would go for it. Allow the engine to cool a bit before popping the filler cap :blink: obviously, top it up....... and then take some top up along.

Take it easy and just keep an eye on the temperature as you plod along. Hope there is no standstill traffic on the way.

Pip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts