BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to get some fresh antifreeze and I was wondering how much I should get.
Naturally, I searched the forum for a quick answer.

I found plenty of threads about changing, flushing and bleeding the coolant and changing the thermostat but I couldn't quickly find one that said how much coolant the e39 M5 takes.

In the end I had to dig out my handbook and found the answer, so here it is:

The M5 takes 12 litres of coolant. This is for all e39 M5 models, early and facelift. By coolant, I mean the mix of water and antifreeze (50/50 usually).

I take it that 12l will fill an empty system. If you don't drain the block, less will be required.

I hope this post will prove useful to someone who turns to the forum for the information. I apologise if it duplicates anything, but I did search for some time with little luck!

Coolant flush next up :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Additional Information for Vehicle code DE91
<table bgcolor="white" border="1" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td>Production</td><td>FROM : 1998/09/01</td> <td>TO : 2003/05/31</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Engine</td><td>S62</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Engine Oil</td><td align="right">6.50 Liter</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Transmission</td><td>Manual</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Transmission Model</td><td>S6S 420G</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Transmission Oil</td><td align="right">1.75 Liter</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Rear Axle Oil</td><td align="right">1.60 Liter</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Coolant(w/o Air Conditioner)</td><td align="right">0.00 Liter</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Coolant(with Air Conditioner)</td><td align="right">12.75 Liter</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">Brake fluid</td><td align="right">1.00 Liter</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've replaced my coolant twice since taking ownership and both times have got out exactly 10 litres.

This is by opening up at the radiator drain and both engine block drains.

The extra few remaining litres must be in pipework and probably the heater matrix...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts