BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2,492 Posts
Gustav said:
No display on the Ipod shuffle? HD?

You get what you pay for. Apple quality isnt cheap.

iMovieHD is high definition video editing.

Thinking I will get a Mac mini. That is so awesome. Really, this big tower PowerMac is so unnecessary and was 10x the price of the mini. Hell ill even spring for the $600 mini....

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The idea behind the ipod shuffle: for active people who dont look at the display- eg- jogging/ working out. Slap 200+ songs on there, let the pod to the shuffle and off you go. no display needed. I think its great.

I cannot believe they added HD to imovie! I have to wonder what the point is for today since there is no consumer way to output HD- but someday.....

I am surprised that so many people say the mac mini won't generate big sales volume for apple- I think it will. I think it will surprise a lot of people.

Gustav, have a look at their website- its some cool stuff! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yup thats what I thought...its shuffle cause there is no display. I still use the 2nd gen ipod. Its great but the battery is dying...I think I need a replacement :eek:
the mini Mac looks awesome though :2:

·
2,492 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
I am surprised that so many people say the mac mini won't generate big sales volume for apple-
Thats what those jerk analysts said. Well....its freakin doubled this last quarter or something. **** I wish I was in on that.

Waiting for more people to make the switch...iPod do your stuff

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I think- wild speculation-

I think this is the beginning of a new product offensive and a real shift for Apple in the consumer space. They will always have the pro space, but in how they handle consumer computers I can see them at some point offering a kind of set top box that networks with any mac to show iphoto, itunes, any iapp right on your tv. maybe even work as a kind of tivo that allows you to see email... if you have another computer, the caching of the data could be done on that computers hard drive- the unit could cost maybe $150 at introduction and be market down to $99.... call it mac tv or itv or something jazzy... btw- you know they will reduce that 499 price as they have a history of doing things like that- give it 8-12 months...

I think its great. And I think imovie HD makes more sense like this since such a set top box could have wideband component video output for todays HD sets (or HDMI).

Jobs said he wants to be the digital hub- I think we are seeing years of carefully planned strategy. In the olden days he was just a very bright guy. Now hes got some mileage/ wisdom + top marketing people + his natural talents.... and one other advantage he did not have before- he is not acting as the trail blazer- before the competition could watch him and learn from his mistakes. Now its the others who are trying to do convergence and failing and he is watching and learning.....

just some random thoughts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: What I think- wild speculation-

im going to order a 1gb ipod shuffle in the next few days. i will use it for gym and train/plane journeys. my music is mainly in hour+ long sets so theres no need for a display really.

·
2,492 Posts

CLK-GTR said:
im going to order a 1gb ipod shuffle in the next few days. i will use it for gym and train/plane journeys. my music is mainly in hour+ long sets so theres no need for a display really.

Yeah gym use etc....one thing I am going to use it for is Skiing! If I feel like putting on some tunes on the lifts, then this badboy, complete with flash memory (so it is safe to beat it up some), is the perfect tool.

Plus if you load a play list, it doesnt shuffle em. Dont have to shuffle if you dont want to.

·
Registered
31 Posts

As the iPod and iTunes made revolution in the way we are listening music, I guess this will change the way we are using computers. And Apple’s product line is very nice indeed.

·
Registered
180 Posts

i have to say apple are really getting their act together. microsoft should be worried.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts

I have a Sony Clie TH55 Palm handheld with 2 GB memorystick. Oretty large MP3 player. But it is also a calendar, book reader, PDF reader, camera, WLAN surfer, movie player ;)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The street loves apples story:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stocks/troywolverton/10203129.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Stock is currently up $6+ !

Keep climbing, keep climbing baby.......

Gustav,
People who are computer/ electronic savvy will probably be able to do a lot or more than what Apple offers and for less $. My buddy uses his Treo (palm based phone- like your sony) as a MP3/phone/calendar/email/ etc. But most people lack that sophistication. For them the new Apple stuff is a very good fit. Apple is now making "lifestyle" products. There is big money in that.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Yes, Apple is currently a very innovative and great company. The iMac -iPod evolution is almost a spark of genius. I guess Steve Joba was worth that LearJet he got as a bonus the first year he came back. On the other hand he had a salary of $1 during that year :haha:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well i just placed an order for the 1gb shuffle. Yesterday the total delivery estimate was 2 weeks, today it is 4 weeks, so they must be shifting a good number of them.

also, i am tinking of putting a good chunk of money into Apple over the long term. What do any other investors here think of that?

·
2,492 Posts

Gustav said:
I have a Sony Clie TH55 Palm handheld with 2 GB memorystick. Oretty large MP3 player. But it is also a calendar, book reader, PDF reader, camera, WLAN surfer, movie player ;)

Well you are nerd on that PC stuff. Plus...IBM makes the G5 process and have made Apple processors for years. What, most people dont need a mobile office. If they do, they have mutiple iBooks at reasonable prices

Talk to the millions of college (pre/in/post college) crowd who have some dough to burn, may need a computer, may have a need for something....nothing is easier and more pleasing to use than an Apple. I know three "die hard" PCers that have made the switch. You should. Run M5board on Apple G5 iServe. It would SMOKE!:byee55amg

When I was in college my Mac was the apple of everyones eye. Why? I never got a single virus. I could connect to the internet every single time, bar none. All my programs woked like they were suppsed to. No errors, no issues, no problems. Shoot, I had Nelly up in here ax'in where he could get a hook up on a 'box.

I have stock in them and I hope they split or something. Dividends? Any business majors care to speculate? I have no clue.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Long term I think its tough to gauge Apples success. On one hand things never looked better. On the other hand there is an 800 lb gorilla in Microsoft that they seem to keep butting heads with. I think as an investor you can look at the usual things, but what I look at right now is there is a real mania in the ipod and I think it looks like the market has priced it in, but the truth is- as we are now seeing- it cannot have priced in all of the ipod affects (they call this the "ipod halo") I think the stock is probably expensive now, but it could go $10-20 higher in the next year according to most published analyst reports. Historically, Apple stock has traded in the teens and twenties. I think once/if the halo dims the stock will probably take a significant hit. So my advice on any stock is pick a return you want and once you get it, bail out. I think Apple could be a nice play for this year as I think the market is still trying to figure this out, but it is getting up there. Just my 2 cents this is not what I do.

On buying products from apple: its classic apple with new products. You buy it and the ship time changes. Hang in there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
I am surprised that so many people say the mac mini won't generate big sales volume for apple- I think it will. I think it will surprise a lot of people.
Very true.

CLK-GTR said:
i have to say apple are really getting their act together. microsoft should be worried.
Very, very true. Watch out Microsoft.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts