BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum, but have been sculking around here for a couple of years, all the while trying to convince my wife my next car will be an e39 m5...

So, heres where you can help me, we've just got rid of her Beetle, and am running one car, and so nows the time for me to start persuading her we need an m5.

Can anyone provide some 'one-liners' that would convince someone who is not interested in cars that they need a fuel / insurance / tax / servicing hungry beast on the drive? The best I can usually manage is along the lines of "it'll be so comfy, with heated leather, and will have a tv so you can watch Hollyoaks / Beastenders in it"!!

All responses welcome, from the serious, to the hilarious!

Im all ears!

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
"Honey, I've decided that our next car is going to be a BMW E39 M5...":)
^^This.

I did tons of research saved up the cash and then showed my wife pictures of them and told her that's the next car we are getting. it helped I bought her a new car last year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sold a VW Passat and bought the M5 for more room in the rear for a baby seat. The first car I remember my parents having as a kid was a VW Beetle. My sister and I just hopped in the back and off we went. In the US so many parents think as soon as they have kids they need to get some huge SUV. Thing is kids are small. At least for the first 8-10 years. They don't need a couch and 50inch flat screen tv in the back of the car. I bought mine with the idea that when my kids look back on their childhood they will say the old man has a sweet car when they were young and will be fighting for the keys when they turn 16.

·
Registered
585 Posts
trade your wife in !! i once had the option of a new car,i looked at an older aston martin but went for the family car option with 4 doors
best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is "Let her drive it" to which my wife fully agrees, she loves to drive the ///M, just teach her to respect not only it, but the clutch and the ///M's power.

If that's not so much an option, try these, and thank my wife if they work:
1. The heaven seats are HEAVEN! I love having my bottom all toasty in the morning!
2. You always know your man is gawking at another car and not another woman.
3. The ride is so smooth, you'll never want another vehicle.
4. The sound it makes is incredibly sexy.
5. Honey, it's all *real* leather. Just like your purse.

There you go. If any of those actually work, let us know.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Honey, I think I'm over my sports car days and want to buy a comfortable sedan for us and the kids to enjoy on all the road trips we plan to take. Together. To M-Fest. What is M-Fest? Oh nothing.."

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
"By the time we sell it, it won't have lost any value at all"

(well almost ;))

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,243 Posts
1. First tell her you want something outrageous... like a 4-door Maserati or Porsche 911 Turbo because this is the last chance for you to own because of future of costly gasoline and YOU MUST BY ONE. Be sincere and believable. This will make your choice of E39 M5 look like the most logical choice...everything is relative. Look at the cars online and ask her what color the Porsche should be. Say you gonna go look at the dealer at Porsches since the dealer said: "We have a deal that you can not refuse". At this point she'll be begging you to get an E39 M5.

2. Say it safe car, and you value family safety and especially since you can not afford to be disabled because of an accident because you must support the family and that 90% of accidents happen because you can't get out of the way fast enough because you lack horsepower.

3. Say it gets 23 mpg on highway no problem.

4. Say it is better than a motorcycle, because it protects you while giving you some horsepower.

5. Say it has a large trunk for those airport trips and hauling stuff around. Especially if you get fold-down seats.

6. It has 8 air bags and even curtain air bags to protect you from very dangerous side impacts.

7. Any new Honda Accord will cost you more than an M5 with none of the joy.

8. Tell her that you are a determined man, and if you can't get what exactly what you want.. you'll still make sure to get it.

9. Ask her to see her shoe/purse collection and say you want to cross reference the prices online. Suddenly she'll be dragging you to buy the M5.

10. Just go buy one, deal w/ her later. If she really loves you she won't divorce you over an M5. And if she does then **** it. You got an M5 out of the deal and the M5 will never divorce or nag about another car in the driveway. M5 is like a dog, you can beat it and it still stays loyal.

IF women decided everything what men ought to do, we all be living in stone-age washing dishes in a cave. Most women are like dogs, they enjoy when men take charge.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Tell her, "Honey you deserve to be driven around in an M5."

"Porsches are too flashy, Mercs too pompous. An M5 says you're above competing with the neighbors... because you've already won."

Ask her, "Do you think your husband deserves to have a nice car? Of course I'm talking a family sedan, but still a nice car in which to show you off."

"I no longer want one of those little screaming cars you're always rolling your eyes at. I want a nice family car that shows how special you are to me."

Oh, and if you let her drive it, be prepared to get another. Cindy stopped wanting a new Camaro after driving the M5. She realized she could have a much better, more comfortable car for a third of the cost.

Good Luck,

dj

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just got my wife a (used) pickup truck -- she's wanted one for a long time. Quid pro quo.

I may have to set up a PO box for the bills on the engine replacement, though...:eek:h:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Try finding one that has a color combo that appeals to women as equally as men...

I think Silverstone is a nice color to convince the spouses. That's one of the reasons I picked the car I did, because i think it will be easier for the next guy to convince his wife to buy a light blue shade.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I showed my wife a 4-year old STi complete with huge wing and fat pipe for $27k, then showed her the M5 for $5k less. When we went to check out the M5, the sound of the Magnaflows was nearly a deal-breaker but the black leather/aluminum trim was a big hit. So I would recommend bringing her on a test drive with stock exhaust if she is sensitive to noise. +1 on the second bank account though. You will end up buying parts just to treat the car

·
Registered
446 Posts
Whoever said it's all about perspective is right on the money.

Really get hot and heavy serious about a car that costs 10k more and is WAY less practical.

Just be sure to know which year and the kind of mileage you want on the M5 so you can choose your "dummy car" accordingly for pricing reasons.

I had an e36 M3 sedan (no fold down seats) and a Chevy Tahoe (2Dr 4x4) when I got my M5; therefore, it really was more practical than both for kid seats, etc...huge trunk....can bolt on a bike rack (which I have)....the M5 can be pretty utilitarian if you want it to be.

Good luck!cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My line was...'Look what I bought'

It took her 2 years to not hate the car. thats about as good as I got.

After I got it, I tried to convince her it was a family car. The 6 speed and red interior didn't help that.

Now she accepts it as my toy and tolerates it. Although she does like going out in it.....hmm, maybe she secretly likes it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
1. First tell her you want something outrageous... like a 4-door Maserati or Porsche 911 Turbo because this is the last chance for you to own because of future of costly gasoline and YOU MUST BY ONE. Be sincere and believable. This will make your choice of E39 M5 look like the most logical choice...everything is relative. Look at the cars online and ask her what color the Porsche should be. Say you gonna go look at the dealer at Porsches since the dealer said: "We have a deal that you can not refuse". At this point she'll be begging you to get an E39 M5.

2. Say it safe car, and you value family safety and especially since you can not afford to be disabled because of an accident because you must support the family and that 90% of accidents happen because you can't get out of the way fast enough because you lack horsepower.

3. Say it gets 23 mpg on highway no problem.

4. Say it is better than a motorcycle, because it protects you while giving you some horsepower.

5. Say it has a large trunk for those airport trips and hauling stuff around. Especially if you get fold-down seats.

6. It has 8 air bags and even curtain air bags to protect you from very dangerous side impacts.

7. Any new Honda Accord will cost you more than an M5 with none of the joy.

8. Tell her that you are a determined man, and if you can't get what exactly what you want.. you'll still make sure to get it.

9. Ask her to see her shoe/purse collection and say you want to cross reference the prices online. Suddenly she'll be dragging you to buy the M5.

10. Just go buy one, deal w/ her later. If she really loves you she won't divorce you over an M5. And if she does then **** it. You got an M5 out of the deal and the M5 will never divorce or nag about another car in the driveway. M5 is like a dog, you can beat it and it still stays loyal.

IF women decided everything what men ought to do, we all be living in stone-age washing dishes in a cave. Most women are like dogs, they enjoy when men take charge.
If after step 7 she is still not convinced, go on with that B option for Masserati dealer. :D :D
But I believe everyone of us has used at least one of the similar situations written above. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
cheers guys

thanks everyone so far!

Some very funny responses in there such as

"just buy one, and deal with her later..." You don't sound like a married man?! hiha

Well the New Beetle was her dream car, and we paid £9k for it 3 years ago, so I figure, I'm allowed at least £9k for my next car. I think i'll head down the "ok, we'll compromise, I'll get a family car for us."

Keep the replies coming, they crack me up!!

Cheers

PS - JustinM5, thanks for the PM - as im a new member I can't reply at the moment though. But suffice to say, at this stage, im not in the position to buy just yet.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts