BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here converted back to a square rearview mirror? My autodim mirror is toast and the windshield is cracked. I want a regular mirror, never cared for the autodim anway apart from the look.

So I just have to buy a mirror for a rain sensor equiped 540i mirror and install a windshield for a rainsensor equiped 540i and be done with it..... right?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I suspect that the odds of you finding a non-autodimming mirror with the rain sensor are zero. You probably have to buy the premium package to get the rain sensor, and that package comes with the stupid mirror.

I'm with you - I'd prefer an old-style flipper mirror. You can get the mirror fixed for about $100 if you want to go that route. Or maybe you could save the housing on your rain sensor mirror and buy a non-auto mirror, but you'd probably have to buy it new as they are really quite rare. Everyone gets the stupid premium package (including myself on the F10) it seems.

·
Registered
624 Posts
after my OE mirror developed a bubble, I snagged a square mirror off of a 2001 X5 on Ebay. $30 shipped, works great. Never looked back. I think they're all auto-dim.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after my OE mirror developed a bubble, I snagged a square mirror off of a 2001 X5 on Ebay. $30 shipped, works great. Never looked back. I think they're all auto-dim.
Do you have pics of it installed? So it's an autodim from an X5? are they known to fail as well as M5 mirrors?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Do you have pics of it installed? So it's an autodim from an X5? are they known to fail as well as M5 mirrors?
Swapped to a rectangular mirror at least 5 years ago. Works just like original, but no bubbles to date and wider field of vision.

I assume it is off of a 540; when replaced under warranty, I had choice of waiting for out of stock M5 oval mirror or getting immediate gratification on rectangular mirror.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
189 Posts
I got an extra-long rectangular mirror as a gift, which clips on over the standard mirror. the quality isn't great in comparison to a working M mirror, but it expands the field of view a lot, and almost eliminates blind-spots. if my mirror goes, I'm going to clip it on. I'm pretty sure you can get one at any auto-parts store. ambulance drivers et al. use them.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just as FYI the rain sensor has NOTHING to do with the mirror other than that the wires are adjacent to the mirror and are routed through the plastic base which you are not changing. Don't believe what the sellers say "with/without" rain sensor. It doesn't matter. All you need to care about is if the mirror is autodimming, can support autodimming external mirrors, has additional features you want: UDGO, compass.... I've changed a few of these on various models and know what I'm talking about. Regards.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So the windshield type that I will install doesnt matter as long as it has a rain sensor right ? The M5 windshield in Canada is $896 at speedyglass and I dont even want to know how much at BMW. Plus I have to wait on them to order it cuz it's a special order.

Windshields get busted by rocks more often here than in the states so I know I will have to buy another one down the road. The OEM windhsield and it lasted the car 250k in the states and ony a few k's in Canada.

So I want to replace it with a regular 540i windshield with rain sensor and 540's mirror.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Do a search for windshield installation or something along those lines to make sure you know about the in's and out's of getting a shop to install it right. Often I've heard that shops will remove some rubber or foam pieces from the glass mistakenly thinking it is packing material.

I think whichever windshield you go for it, should have the metal connector(upside down triangle with squared off points) pictured below which should allow fitament of the OE oval or rectangular mirror.

IMO, go the Sybesmas route as I and many others did to get a refurbed oval replacement.

Cheers,

Scott

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.