BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the cars computer be controlled and manipulated (reset timer, mpg etc) from the lever on the steering wheel? I ask that because the previous owner swapped out the original nav system and in dash screen with a Alpine system. This means, I do not have access the menu buttons or any other buttons on the dash around the screen. I know, what a bummer. Thanks<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't think so. You need the stalk, and you still need a couple of buttons that were located on the periphery of the Nav screen's housing. I'm not aware of any alternates for those buttons. It would be relatively easy, if you have a little electronics talent, to make a simple controller interface that emulates those buttons, and spits out the appropriate data to the I-Bus, but I'm not aware of anything in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe pressing in and holding will reset.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
press and hold brings up the list of values that can be displayed on the cluster, and shows them on the nav screen so the order can be adjusted.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
No.

You can cycle through them using the stalk, and you can bring up the full list (on the nav screen you don't have). But, to change the list you need to using the right knob on the control screen, and without an interface to the IBus that can send those commands you are SOL.

d-

·
Registered
151 Posts
my bad, that's how it was for our X5, but I also tried that last night and got that screen to turn off features, which I did :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts