BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am noticing an intermittent squeak/squeal from the front end of the car when making a sharp left and braking. The sound never comes at other times. After doing some research on the board, I think maybe my control arm is going.

Anyone know if this can be diagnosed by inspection at the dealer or am I going to have to get on the "reproduce the sound" merry-go-round?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
KevinM said:
I am noticing an intermittent squeak/squeal from the front end of the car when making a sharp left and braking. The sound never comes at other times. After doing some research on the board, I think maybe my control arm is going.

Anyone know if this can be diagnosed by inspection at the dealer or am I going to have to get on the "reproduce the sound" merry-go-round?

Thanks.
It is tough to say, as the symptoms of this are as varied as the HVAC final stage resistor issue. Mine made a sound first just when turning left over a bump. then it got worse, then it did it just turning the wheel either direction. It sounded like a plastic straw being moved up and down through a plastic cup lid slot when it "squeaked" -- or a 15 year old truck suspension groan. Other sounds have also been reported. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Digi said:
It is tough to say, as the symptoms of this are as varied as the HVAC final stage resistor issue. Mine made a sound first just when turning left over a bump. then it got worse, then it did it just turning the wheel either direction. It sounded like a plastic straw being moved up and down through a plastic cup lid slot when it "squeaked" -- or a 15 year old truck suspension groan. Other sounds have also been reported. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, Digi.

As the sound is so intermittent currently, I will just monitor for now and mention it when I go in for my next service.

My SA now usually believes me up front when I come in with an issue and believe I know the cause. He knows I have done my research here! I loved going in last time and saying "I need a new final stage resistor." End of story.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I would think they ask you to go for a ride with them to duplicate the sound. That's what I had to do. Then they lift the car and shake stuff around to see if anything seems loose near the noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts