BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently purchased M5 came with Continental SportContact2 285/35 ZR 19 tires. I have searched but cannot get a clear answer on the speed rating. There is no "Y" just ZR which from what I have read is 149+mph so basically my question is are these tires safe for 200mph?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not sure on speed rating but they were standard here in the UK on the M5.

I currently have them on my oem 19" wheels and have had my car in excess of 185mph many times (on a private road)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
The PSS are great but...... They have huge tire walls which is no good for aggressive offsets.

I was always a PS2 man. I agree the PS2 is better in the wet but the conti SC2 is more than capable in the summer, I really rate them

I am running conti SC5's on my show wheels and these are exceptional

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is 200 mph ever safe haha?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Tirerack.com is a good reference. The Z speed rating is 149+ (149 and above) mph like you said--anything over 149 mph. So you're good at 200. Y rated tops out at 186 mph, so in theory, a Z rated tire would be safer above 186 mph than a Y rated tire. The R just means Radial design. The Z and ZR ratings are an older standard, I gather, and the W- and Y- ratings are newer and provide better refinement on top speed.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't agree that the continentals are sh*t. They are a bit sensitive to cold temps and wet surfaces. But at over 500 hp and rwd, most tyres are.
I've also wondered about the ratings that just say >300 km/h. I've been over 200 mph about 10-15 times with mine and they held up good, but I guess anything might happen at those speeds and you should be aware of that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts