BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2014 M6 back in Feb that was supposedly "gone over the front to back by our M ace" I saw in the carfax it had brake done about 6,000 miles beforehand by an Indy shop, not the dealer. However, I would have expected that the brakes would be an item to check thoroughly. So I never thought much about it. It did have the M low-speed brake squeal but that seems to be common. I had the car in my Indy shop looking to see why I was down on power and only hitting 13 PSI boost. My shop calls and says that my brakes are shot, somehow the wrong pads were installed both front and rear as they do not contact the entire rotor. So rotors and pads for all 4 corners need replacing very expensive $3,000+. I call the dealer they won't help, I called BMW NA and they said it's a dealership issue. I asked BMW NA to be escalated to the supervisor or manager nothing but crickets. As you can see there is only 75% contact from the pad to rotor making braking not as designed. This could lead to brake fade in a high-speed situation, or coming down a mountain. Who the hell can I get to make the dealer do right by me this is clearly not correct. They let the car leave the dealership this way. I would love to show it to the BMW engineers as this is clearly unsafe. i haven't driven it since bringing it home from the shop as they said its dangerous under emergency it could lock up.

Automotive tire Tire Rim Alloy wheel Automotive wheel system
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

My friends M5 looks like this and how they all should look.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Blue Light

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well BMW NA told me to pound sand and that I need to go back to the dealership BMW NA will do nothing. This is very disappointing when a parent company refuses to tell one of their dealers to help the customer out. This may be the last BMW I have never been treated so poorly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually found the issue by bringing it to my BMW independent shop to find it. I swore it was a boost leak, but they were able to determine I had misfired on two cylinders(I new saw codes) and replaced them could and I'm back in business. that's when he showed me the brakes had the wrong pads. He was unable to see how he got undersized pads that fit the Brembos.

I've been buying and selling cars to 40+ years but never through a dealer until I bought my 535i. So I always had to do my due diligence when purchasing going over the car with a fine tooth comb myself. I had such a great experience I bought my other BMWs via dealers as well. When I got my 335is, they told me it was never modified because I had a warranty and was afraid of aftermarket stuff. I got in in Melbourne BMW and drove back to Charlotte and found an aftermarket charge pipe and BOV. I complained and said I was going to contact BMW NA and they had my local BMW shop put a factory charge pipe and all the stuff that goes with it. I think it was close to $1000. I guess I just lucked out and found 2 great BMW dealers I guess and just assumed BMW NA kept dealers in check.

As far as no dealer would check something like that, it is quite obvious looking at them if you are an M guru master tech. They took the car in on a trade the weekend before they put pics up that night and I put $500 down Monday. They said they would go through the car thoroughly and let me know if they found anything. My guess is they just detailed it and that was that. I try and believe people are better than that but buyer beware I guess. I saw that it had brake pads done on the carfax about 5k ago but missed it was done by "Tony's Auto Repair" not the dealer.

And obviously, I need to suck it up, I was hoping BMW NA would put some pressure on them to help out on the rotors and pads but they said no. I had thought of putting a cheaper set of correct pads on to wear down the rust as there can be much rotor wear after only a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The selling dealer offered to open an appt at Hendrix BMW for me the week after next(I'm traveling next week)and have them look at my concerns. If I am correct he will try and help me financially. So that's positive news finally maybe after opening multiple BMW NA cases and calling and complaining word got back to him to investigate and f wrong make it right. I am going to get the rims off and measure the pads with a caliper, and compare them to the size of the Brembo caliper pads that are on our cars. That and the report from Hendrix will prove the wrong pads are on and unsafe and hopefully, they will help out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree 100%. I contacted BMW NA and opened multiple cases and asked for a manager but they said they could do nothing. However, now they have offered to have a BMW dealer locally look at it and if is truly as bad as I say and should not have left their shop he will help financially. My guess is BMW NA did reach out because they changed their tune after I bitched. I have an appt new Friday ill let you guys know the outcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts