BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 1996 US M3. I think its a fantastic car, very balanced and very "nimble". I am considering the M5. I agree with my wife's assessment that its "beautiful". However, I am concerned about the "feel" of a bigger (and heavier) car. Any insights? Also insights into useful options, etc.

Also, I live in the NYC metro area and I am wondering about how long a waiting period I would have to endure. I must move to a new car by December.

Thanks in advance

ME

·
Registered
40 Posts
ME

In order to be convinced on your own instead of anyone giving u advice, read past comments placed on this msg board. The weight has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the car. But dont let me sway your opinion....make one your own. The car is the most gorgeous thing ever created. READ ON!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I spent the previous 2 hours reading many threads. Of course one cannot be convinced of how a car drives via the internet, but what I am getting at is- I prefer a car that has minimal body roll, has a "nimble feel", etc - general bmw virtues. How does the M5 compare?

Weight absolutely is a factor- just as its distribution is a factor, one of the things I really like about BMWs is their 50/50 weight distribution. I believe the M3 is around 3300lbs and the M5 is around 4000lbs. I would think these are different cars- Im not expecting the same car, just a "family resemblance" in their personalities- is all; and finally, the big question- how long does one have to wait to get one of these beauties?!

ME

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had a porsche boxster before the m5. probably one of the most nimble sports car in production. the m5 handles, well, differently. its like a touring race car (m5) vs. formula ford: precise, little to no body roll, good steering feedback, but just more automobile ... the boxster felt more scalpel like, the m5 more substantive.

in high speed cornering, the m5 feels more secure and has more grip. in low speed, tight corners, the boxster has a clear advantage, while the m5 has a tendency to exhibit understeer (pushing the front tires). don't be dismayed about the low speed understeer, however, as a ferrari f50, for example, has HUGE low speed understeer, but no one ever accused it of weak handling.

different, but equally satisfying, esp for a 4-door

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
The car handles like it weighs a lot less. You can't toss it around like the Porsche or M3, but it more than makes up for it in awesome, delicious torque and brute stength cornering. Many M3 owners who've driven both have commented that they think the M5 is the all around faster car.

For a bunch of specs and quotes about the car, try http://myweb.ncal.verio.com/~greg/m5

Lots and lots of people who ought to know say it is simply the best there is (and of course, I have to agree with them...
)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nevermind "considering" --- I just found out I WILL be getting one and soon! within 2 months! hello!

ME

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gentlemen,
thank you for your comments and Greg thanks for your fantastic web site. Now, where does one get one of these things in short order?

ME

1 - 12 of 12 Posts