BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm considering selling my M5. Before you tell me I'm completely insane, here's why:

1) It has 73,000 miles and is only going to get more expensive to maintain. I've spent an average of $2000 every 2-3 months since I bought it on maintenance. I'm a full time student and can afford to pay for the maintenance, but it's definitely money I'd rather put somewhere else, especially considering I can't predict when I'll need to spend it. I can get a much more reliable car with a warranty for the money I'd get from the sale.
2) Contrary to popular belief, I don't drive it very hard. I go nuts maybe once a week, but when the air is cold, the engine has so much power that it'll just spin my PS2s in 2nd gear, and 3rd gear breaks every legal speed limit. It's my DD and 95% of what it ends up doing is just driving me around.
3) I'm going to be making a great salary once I'm out of school and would probably be selling it in 2-3 years from now anyways. It would probably have 100k miles and be more difficult to move. If I get another car now, I can just buy a real quick 2 seater for fun and keep whatever I get as my DD.
4) It's resale value has only dropped by about 5-6k since I bought it. It still has high value and would net me a lot of cash that I can put towards a reliable car with a warranty.
5) It's just not that versatile. I drove SUVs most of my life and really miss them. I end up borrowing my friend's SUVs all the time for all sorts of activities.

So, am I completely insane or no? The only downside is that the M5 will hold its value much better than any of the other cars I would get. But according to my excel analysis, the increased depreciation is still less than I would pay in maintenance over the next 2 years.

Cliffs: I don't use the capabilities of the M5 as my DD and it's just too expensive to justify.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What advice are you looking for? It sounds to me like you've already decided to sell and just need somebody to tell you that it's okay..... It you want to sell it and get an SUV, then do what makes you happy. You're the only one who has to live with the decisions you make.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sometimes I have moments like that as well, I begin to think "reasonably" like:
- I could drive pretty powerful DIESEL BMW which would be cheaper, comfortable and very nice fuel consumption
- I could drive some cheap trash and use saved money to vacations in Thailand or Spain or something with my girlfriend
- Etc..

But, the truth is that if I would sell this car, I would miss the V8 sound and //M feeling often, no matter if I did use those capabilities or not, it's just that you have power there when u want it... :haha:

And yes, it's silly but it's about imago as well, what would you do when you're driving some lazy SUV and next time somebody comes to challenge you with some brand new Honda VTEC trash in traffic lights... And you know in your mind that you would LOOSE if you take that challenge... :1:

Just my thoughts, if you buy some cheap and reasonable car, you are just more clever than most of us M5 enthusiasts :haha:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I can relate to your ideas because I used to have exactly the same ones right after I got the car (it was a heat of the moment thing and I pulled the trigger). I got the M5 because my "cheap" dream car was impossible to own as my only car, so I "settled" on the M5 and kept thinking that I would perhaps replace it with the new Challenger or the Camaro, or maybe even go back to getting my cheap dream car and then a Civic for winter beating.

But now I love the M5. Hell, I even gave it a name! The more I drive it, the more I like it. But I'm rambling.

It's obvious that you havent developed this connection with the car and that to you it's just "another car," especially being that you love SUVs. No problem with that. But like others have said, it does seem like you've already made up your mind.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes I have moments like that as well, I begin to think "reasonably" like:
- I could drive pretty powerful DIESEL BMW which would be cheaper, comfortable and very nice fuel consumption
- I could drive some cheap trash and use saved money to vacations in Thailand or Spain or something with my girlfriend
- Etc..

But, the truth is that if I would sell this car, I would miss the V8 sound and //M feeling often, no matter if I did use those capabilities or not, it's just that you have power there when u want it... :haha:

And yes, it's silly but it's about imago as well, what would you do when you're driving some lazy SUV and next time somebody comes to challenge you with some brand new Honda VTEC trash in traffic lights... And you know in your mind that you would LOOSE if you take that challenge... :1:

Just my thoughts, if you buy some cheap and reasonable car, you are just more clever than most of us M5 enthusiasts :haha:
But that's another thing.....in 2 years and 20,000 miles of driving, not ONCE has another car tried to race me at a stoplight! I don't know if it's just where I live, but no one even seems to know what it is. I love going out to the twisties on the weekend, and think it's better than sex, but right now it's just not what's right for me :(

I can relate to your ideas because I used to have exactly the same ones right after I got the car (it was a heat of the moment thing and I pulled the trigger). I got the M5 because my "cheap" dream car was impossible to own as my only car, so I "settled" on the M5 and kept thinking that I would perhaps replace it with the new Challenger or the Camaro, or maybe even go back to getting my cheap dream car and then a Civic for winter beating.

But now I love the M5. Hell, I even gave it a name! The more I drive it, the more I like it. But I'm rambling.

It's obvious that you havent developed this connection with the car and that to you it's just "another car," especially being that you love SUVs. No problem with that. But like others have said, it does seem like you've already made up your mind.
No, I have that connection too. It's just that it goes away a little with each dollar I sink into it. Also, once I'm out of school, I'll buy an e90 M3 or an M6 for my weekend car and have something else for my DD. I just think that after driving the M5 for 2 years as a DD, it's lost some of its magic. I know I'll miss it like crazy when I don't have it anymore, but I also know that I'll get something even better in a few years time.

And I guess I am just looking for someone to say that I'm thinking along the right lines. I didn't know if someone would say I was completely insane for thinking about selling it.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I didn't know if someone would say I was completely insane for thinking about selling it.
There will undoubtedly be a few. Even if you end up with an M3 or an M6, you'll notice a difference and dont be surprised if you realize that you enjoyed the M5 better.

That said, your big concern is money. The car is costing you too much. I can understand that concern. I've been lucky and all the money spent on it so far have been on mods! Only 100 out of pocket for repairs (okay okay, it was $2700 but I have an extended warranty) and about a grand in common maintenance stuff that's expected in cars as old as mine (MY2000).

But if you say you're gonna make a lot of money after you graduate, cant you wait it out with this car?

I mean I understand your financial concerns and now you may feel like you took a bite that your wallet cant swallow, but try chewing :7:

·
Registered
124 Posts
But that's another thing.....in 2 years and 20,000 miles of driving, not ONCE has another car tried to race me at a stoplight! I don't know if it's just where I live, but no one even seems to know what it is. I love going out to the twisties on the weekend, and think it's better than sex, but right now it's just not what's right for me :(
Even though I said that you would be missing your car when somebody comes to challenge you, it was little bit humor.

In real life, you're lucky if somebody does that, I can tell you that it's pretty annoying sometimes.

Like last sunday 07:00PM at evening I was driving with my girlfriend to visit our friends in city, and first traffic lights in Helsinki (capital of Finland) there was somebody with Chevy Van (the new model) next to me and pushing horn, staring at me and reving his tractor engine.

Of course that was funny (and of course I had to take this challenge and pass him with wheel spin and rev limit hitting, stupid me..) but that's also stupid, when most of time I'm just driving very carefully and sensible, and too often somebody is there flashing lights behind me or challenging at the traffic lights.

The main point with //M5 is that YOU know what your car really is, and it makes it so nice to drive. :noSMG:

And if we think this practical, I have never met car which is so easy to drive while you're cruising peacefully, because of this maximal torque at low rpm's.

(+400Nm @ 1500rpm, a Honda can't give you that torque :biggrin: )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts