BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dearest M5 owners,

As an E46 M3 owner, current X5 4.8 owner, I'm trying to decide what to go with next to replace my temporary 335i sedan.

I love the muscular looks and sporty nature of the new M3 sedan. But the fact that I can no longer fit my golf bag in the trunk of my 335i, not to mention any normal sized adult in the back seat of my 335i when I'm driving, I'm wondering if an M5 is the way to go. Not to mention, that the local dealership is offering a new M5 (Indianapolis Red, silverstone interior) for minimum drive off (i.e. 2,500) and monthly lease payments of $1,100 or so. That's pretty much exactly what a new M3 sedan will cost me.

So... please help me, give me some insight into SMGIII, as opposed to DCT, which I must have, (I can't deal with a manual anymore, too much driving, eating, phone etc... just doesn't work, guess I'm getting older).

Are you happy with your M5's? Would you second guess things now?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not to mention, that the local dealership is offering a new M5 (Indianapolis Red, silverstone interior) for minimum drive off (i.e. 2,500) and monthly lease payments of $1,100 or so.
Which dealership? Stevens Creek? If that's what they're quoting you, that's an awesome deal compared to the other dealerships I've visited. I myself am considering a trade-up to an M5 ... only if I can get my 550 sold. In your situation, I'd take the M5! Although I'm particular to the 6-speed, I've driven the SMGIII a few times and it really is a great engineering masterpiece. It could be a bit smoother in the gear transitions, but overall, it's feels like driving a car in a video game. And you can't go wrong with perfect rev-matched downshifts every time. I'm sure actual M5 owners on this board can give better insight than I can.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I couldnt be prouder of the M5. Everything about this car (minus fuel tank range) is ridiculous. Comfort, Elegance, and Vroom are all there. M3's will be all to common in 2 yrs, but the M5 always stays exclusive.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was in a similar situation as you deciding between the m3 and m5.

At the end of the day, the lease numbers for the new m3 just didn't make sense. It was pretty much the same payments and I am getting $30k more car. Of course it wasn't the only factor in my decision, but since my m5 is only a 24 month lease, I can always revisit the M3 down the road when the lease numbers become more reasonable.

While I haven't really driven the M3 (just around the block), I too had the same concerns about space in the E90 platform. I had a E90 for a little while too and while it's a great platform, I needed something bigger.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dearest M5 owners,

As an E46 M3 owner, current X5 4.8 owner, I'm trying to decide what to go with next to replace my temporary 335i sedan.

I love the muscular looks and sporty nature of the new M3 sedan. But the fact that I can no longer fit my golf bag in the trunk of my 335i, not to mention any normal sized adult in the back seat of my 335i when I'm driving, I'm wondering if an M5 is the way to go. Not to mention, that the local dealership is offering a new M5 (Indianapolis Red, silverstone interior) for minimum drive off (i.e. 2,500) and monthly lease payments of $1,100 or so. That's pretty much exactly what a new M3 sedan will cost me.

So... please help me, give me some insight into SMGIII, as opposed to DCT, which I must have, (I can't deal with a manual anymore, too much driving, eating, phone etc... just doesn't work, guess I'm getting older).

Are you happy with your M5's? Would you second guess things now?

Thanks so much.
What are the lease terms of that M5? $1100/month seems very low. DOes the car have many options? What is the sticker price?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've recently moved from E46/M3 to M5 and wouldn't go back. I drive primarily on the highway and love the power & composure of the M5. M5 wins the prestige award too.

Wish the M5 could sip the gasoline tho :)

SMG along with HUD allows you to really focus on driving. This is the first non-manual car I've ever owned out of 50+ cars and I admit that I miss a manual transmission. I think the 7sp SMG is suited for the power of the M5 tho. I'd need to drive a manual M5 to conclude my opinion on which is best.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i was in your situation a few months ago, M3 or M5 look everbody has different pockets, needs and of course tastes, i personally thought the M5 had much more luxary to her, especially with the full interior, and the M5 rides better and it should it costs alot more...and fianlly it has a better status and presence it has the i have arrived look to it.well this is my 02...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the lease terms of that M5? $1100/month seems very low. DOes the car have many options? What is the sticker price?
It's certainly not loaded, I think it's around 82k. It doesn't have the leather dash board, or ventilated seats. Doesn't have rear heated seats either. Does have HUD, iPod. I believe their actually wanting closer to $1,199, but I'm hoping to get them to $1,100, since they've had the car there forever. Either way, $1,100-1,200 is what I'd expect to be paying for an M3.

Thanks to all for excellent responses, I think you may have helped make my decision. Now I just have to see if everything falls into place.:cheers:

·
Registered
915 Posts
one might be funner to drive but

v10>v8 at the end of the day.

only regret i have about my car is gas, other then that. i have no complains.
its just annoying going to the gas station so much. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Again the Apples & Oranges comparo....LOL
Two different cars.. the M5 is the obvious choice money aside if you want/need larger car with more luxury features and of course more performance....the M3 sedan while I believe they will sell quite a few if the last M3/4 is any indication is just too different IMHO...from all standpoints.
And quite frankly money should not be your issue right now when considering an M5...with the economy in the toilet I know of 4 M5's sitting in a dealer showroom. here..so I'm sure dealers are willing to make some deals to get them out...
Best of luck
S

·
Registered
682 Posts
When you need a a real sedan that can take you and 3 buddies to the course with bags the M5 is a sure winner (4 bags will certinaly fit in the trunk, although you will have to remove the drivers from the bags and reposition...but it will still all be in the trunk). This is by far one of the big selling features of the M5 to me. Sure a 997TT would be nice but I do need to carry more than just one or two humans, we need our toys too.

The M5 will be a monster performer and put a smile on your face with no regrets. It may not feel as nimble as an M3 but not a pig by any means.

I love mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
M5 by far.
Ran up against an e92 m3 and it was a sad day for him. At least 12 cars to the speed limiter.
Pointless paying similar prices for so much less performance and luxury in the e92.
In the m5 you will always feel like king of the road.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've owned both cars, and my personal preference is the M3. I just picked up an M3 sedan and I'm loving every second of it. It's not as fast as the M5, but it's much more nimble, and more fun to drive.

The M5 is more luxurious (even though the M3 seats are very very comfortable), and have a lot of nice interior touches. Especially the ones with extended leather with the stitching on the dash and door panels instead of the 3 series stuff. They are both pretty equal in features too, but the M5 has a few more options (active seats, cooled seats, etc).

I really loved my M5 and I will miss it. It was truly a highway monster and nothing could touch it. The SMG shifting was incredible, and the handling was amazing too for a car of it's weight. Huge downside is the gas mileage. But hey, who buys an M5 and worries about gas?

Drive them both and see what you like more. But make sure to give the M3 a chance. I didn't like it at first (even didn't like it the day proceeding my purchase). The car has 137 miles on the clock and I'm loving it more and more everyday. Especially that hood scoop, it looks huge when you are driving the car. And even though the V10 screams and is amazing, the V8 sounds damn good too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts