BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a 1997 white/auto/loaded 840Ci with 79K on the speedometer for a daily driver. My research so far shows that it is a reliable car with performance similar to a 540I. Does anyone have any experience with the 840 and would you recommend it? Also, I know that 97 was the last year for the 840/850. Does anyone have the final production numbers and, in your opinion is this a BMW that may have some eventual collector appeal and value?

·
Registered
234 Posts
The 840 is an awsome car I think its one of the nicest looking BMW's ever made.....But a very good friend of mine bought one 3 years ago with about 70,000 miles on it from the orginal owner with all the service records in excellent condtion, and at the time Allstate insurance offered an extended warrenty coverage on the car and my friend bought the warrenty....

Lets put it this way the warrenty terms were 3 years and up to 100,000 miles and the warrenty had a cap of $16,000 of coverage for the life of the warrenty, in about a little over a year he was at $12,000 with a bunch of minor warrenty work like power seat motors going bad, transmission repair, the front right hub on the car went bad and that repair alone was alomost $2,500....Not to mention a bunch of electrical issues....I have owned several BMW but the 8 series is a money pit, Im good friends with the guys at Active Auto Werks and they told me the 8 series is a great money maker for them and that the 850 is worse then the 840.....

But in my frineds experince we still laught about it today , about how screwed he would have been if it wasnt for the extended warrenty, and also a year after having the warrenty his Allstate agent told him that Allstate no longer offered warrenty coverage for any 8 series BMW...lol I wonder why....

In any case just my two cents...If it wasnt for his experince with the 840 I would have one today. Despite all that I mentioned above I still turn my head when I see one on the road...So if you dont mind the higher then average cost to keep it running go for it..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Friend of mine at work had one for years. I think he had ~g40K original miles. Very nice car. Silver/black with chrome M-parallel extra deep dish wheels. He recently sold it. Maintenance costs were very very high and I think his kids were entering college...proably helped with the decision. He loved the car though.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
You may find this site of interest:

http://www.e31.net/english.html

Personally, I think Alfred's B12 5.7 coupe is gorgeous! By the way, where is Alfred (alpinadvl) these days? :confused:

·
Registered
784 Posts
This is an interesting question because just over a week ago an assistant and personal friend of mine who is also a BMW Master tech was called while we were working regarding the purchase of an 8 Series.....

After the conversation we chatted because my pesonal experience with them is limited. What I gather is they are mechanically wonderful.....however BMW threw every bit of electronic hardware they had in them, like the Space Shuttle, and this is a consistant area of repair. He also shared that many of the new technicians do not understand them however the older techs do just fine. He also shared that if they arrive on the service island at the BMW dealership....... they are expensive to maintain and repair.

It is a nice looking car, good luck.

Shadowman

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
You are looking for a daily driver. Couple comments:

-The 8 series is a money pit from a maintenance perspective. Electronics will become a nightmare. Almost nobody knows how to service them and they are experimental flagships. I would bet that many BMW dealerships see less than a couple each year, so troubleshooting skills & proficiency will be hard to find. BMW will likely begin obsoleting replacement parts for such a low production car that's already 8 years old. This means you'll need to scour salvage yards soon to maintain it. Good luck finding a salvage yard with one.

-a daily driver car need to be reliable, easy to repair and affordable to maintain

-daily driver cars quickly become non-collectible because they will show excess wear & miles. A car with 79K mi is already over-the-hill for most collectors.

-garage queens creampuffs are collectible...cars that see wax and no use

-sounds like a car on the bottom of my list for a daily driver

-I would guess that somebody wanting to collect the unusual 8 series is going to want the king-of-the-hill V12 too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your advice and insights on the 840. After carefully considering what everyone posted and further in-depth research I have decided to pass on the 840 as a daily driver. Once again the "M5 Messageboard" came through for me and saved me from a potentially expensive and troublesome mistake. Thanks also to Asohk for the website, it answered a lot of my questions. Looks like I'm back in the market for a 98 or newer 540Is automatic with reasonable miles.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
4ocious said:
Thanks everyone for your advice and insights on the 840. After carefully considering what everyone posted and further in-depth research I have decided to pass on the 840 as a daily driver. Once again the "M5 Messageboard" came through for me and saved me from a potentially expensive and troublesome mistake. Thanks also to Asohk for the website, it answered a lot of my questions. Looks like I'm back in the market for a 98 or newer 540Is automatic with reasonable miles.:cheers:
In comparison, E39 540i sport option cars with automatic transmissions are quite plentiful. You might even be able to find one in your favorite color (lol). Pricing varies widely for no good reason, so beware. I'm seeing '98's with around 60K mi for around $16K-18K. If you're willing to pay up to $22K, you should be able to choose from basically showroom quality cars with 50K miles or less.

The price ramps up steeply as you go "newer", since these cars quickly devaluate. Newer cars can be found in the $20K range, but they usually have high miles, salvage or crash history.

IMO, condition, history and miles are more important. Other folks may be attracted by facelift tweaks or angel eyes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
4ocious said:
Just traded my '97 840ci sport for a 2000 M5. Had the 840 for 2 1/2 years, it had 24,000 mls when I got it and 64,000 when I sold it and the only thing that went wrong was a motor on the headlight. One of the best cars I have ever had and the most enjoyable to drive:) :) :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
The 8 series is not a money pit, except for two reasons

1) The car has been poorly maintained
2) The dealer has no clue what he's doing and charges you insane sums

Unfortunately the second reason is all too common - even in Germany. My God, they wanted to rewire my car and all that was wrong was a bad tail light! Then they put wrong oil into it, killing the limited slip differential. Oh, and burnt rotors mean new tyres (according to the dealer). Be very careful. Please go here, read a bit and/or ask some questions. The 8 series is a great car. I am into it since 1999 and have never regretted it. It (850 CSi) has never let me down and until 2002 I used it as a daily driver, putting 20,000 miles a year on it.

Only rarely have I seen an owner being fed up with the car. And if, it's because of the two reasons above. But be aware: The 8 is fast but it is not quick ;)

Oh, and one word about costs: Even a CSi driven hard at times shouldn't cost more to maintain than two standard saloons driven gently.

...Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts