BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering buying a 2006 M5 with 97k miles. I am somewhat hesitant considering I've heard the V10 can be a nightmare when it comes to reliability. Is it really that bad? Are there some things I should look for? Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
these cars get a bad wrap.
make sure u check out car.
the less owners the car has i think would be better..that way you know the car was looked after.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's not just the rod bearings. While you are in there you have the vanos pump and lines. 5k and you won't be surprised. Do some research in the DIY section and you will see some of the jobs an cost that may pop up. Bearings, Vanos, SMG and so on. The more of this work that has already been done the better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It depends where you take the car, but

rods bearings are around $500 to $800 depending which ones you get, plus labor.

97k it might need a clutch.

The catch with this cars is the maintenance, if you do proper maintenance on them they become reliable at least for me, however gas will always be a PITA since you get around 120 to 150 miles per tank at least my case.

I would consider the 2008 + model

·
Registered
136 Posts
It depends where you take the car, but

rods bearings are around $500 to $800 depending which ones you get, plus labor.

97k it might need a clutch.

The catch with this cars is the maintenance, if you do proper maintenance on them they become reliable at least for me, however gas will always be a PITA since you get around 120 to 150 miles per tank at least my case.

I would consider the 2008 + model
I get about 200 miles on the low side per tank and I thought that was bad. Can maybe kiss 300 cruising on a road trip. You must really make it sing every time you drive, or are running e85 if not both.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get about 200 miles on the low side per tank and I thought that was bad. Can maybe kiss 300 cruising on a road trip. You must really make it sing every time you drive, or are running e85 if not both.
jajajajaja running both 93 + e85 I come to acknowledge my right foot has an issue with the pedal :geek:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi, I am considering buying a 2006 M5 with 97k miles. I am somewhat hesitant considering I've heard the V10 can be a nightmare when it comes to reliability. Is it really that bad? Are there some things I should look for? Thanks
Dont consider, just dont do it especially if its an 06 smg.. probably needs rod bearings too. Lots of info available in here about this by just lurking on the site - but Im not gonna hate on you for starting a thread about this cuz Im not an arse****. IMHO I would get something other than first year production. Newer ones got the LCI, oil squirter updates, etc.. like mine :)

I have a very reliable (so far so good) 2008 E60 M5 6MT. What did I do? Took the time to find a well maintained example with documented service history from a BMW dealership with warranty, and paid a premium for it. And no, I dont baby it by any means. Lets just say I wore out a new set of Michelin AS3 rear tires in less than 4k miles after I got it. The engine seems to run quiet and smoother whenever I run close to redline when I drive it. Anyway, again I cannot stress finding one that is newer, well maintained and has documented service history. AND it doesnt hurt if you can wrench on your own.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
How much parts and labor does it cost to get the rod bearings replaced?
Have you considered searching the forum? I usually not the one who points this out to new members, but geez it seems like we have a new thread about this like every other day.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have you considered searching the forum? I usually not the one who points this out to new members, but geez it seems like we have a new thread about this like every other day.
I really think we need a new set of stickies answering the most common new questions we get to refer people too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts