BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of research and soul searching, I have an opportunity to purchase a 2008 M6 automatic SMG with 69K miles. It's in perfect condition however it has a cylinder #9 misfire code and no service history. I drive a 2012 535i but want to get a convertible M series as a second car. Am I stepping into a big pile? I know the cost ramifications but how do others that took this step feel or not?

Thanks and glad to be apart of this group.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Randal. I would saw that an E93 M3 Convertible (2008-2012) would be a much better vehicle for you to step into having as a secondary M car. Unless you know what are doing mechanically (and have the time an tools), getting any M car without service history is a big gamble -- but on the M5/M6 with the V10 you are playing with fire. Some people buy these cars for cheap (compared to initial cost when new) and quickly find out the car they bought requires repairs that exceed what they paid for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's a big gamble. I purchased my M6 w/ similar mileage and within the first few months the SMG pump went out. Also, you're looking at around 3K to have the rod bearings replaced since you don't know if they've been replaced or not. Since cylinder #9 is misfiring at 69k that means you'll probably need to replace all of the coils as well. If you're prepared to potentially dump a significant chunk of change into for repairs then go for it. Otherwise, keep shopping for one that has known maintenance history.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts