BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many porsche owners on this board. i really like my m5 dinan s2 2001 w/ 42k miles. only think is i have a 540 coming my way in six months and i drive 99% of the time just by myself so don't need the space.

i had a 993 for a while and a 325 years ago and the m5 is great especially w/ the s2 pkg but still a bit big feeling.

so i have a friend w/ a 996 2000 w/ 25k miles that i thought i would consider swapping - w/ some additional cash 5-10k of cash to make it more even .....what do u guys think.

if you already w. have a 540 ....996 would be additive.

i am guessing the 996 is worth 40ish and my car is worth 50+ but this is with a friend so we would meet somewhere in btwn

·
Registered
12,789 Posts
oops, read info incorrectly..sorry :confused2
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Mac: I own a 2000 M5 and 1999 996, as well as 2 356s, a 930, and an E30. Safe to say I am partial to Porsche and BMW, and I race the E30 and one of the 356s.

I really like my M5 and my 996, but if I had to choose just one, I would keep the M5. It is more comfortable, and it feels more powerful than the 996.

I live 120 miles from my office, which I visit once or twice a week. I always take the M5 - I like the phone, I like XM, I liked drinking coffee, I like heated seats. Porsches deserve, if not demand, a lot more of my driving attention - I don't use the phone or radio in the 996, and I definitely do not eat or drink in it. It is obviously much lighter than the M5, and corners/brakes accordingly. And as it lacks the great torque of the M5, the 996 has to be in the correct gear all the time.

I ordered my M5 new in 1999 and waited 16 months for it - it's bone stock except for B&B. My 996 was special ordered with as few options as possible - no sunroof, no computer, etc; and then had all the GT3 body parts and wheels installed when it arrived. It's pretty basic sports car, which is exactly my taste.

Good luck with your choice - either way you will have a great car.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
are you talking 996TT OR 996 Carrera? If it's TT i think they are worth way more than 40 but i'd jump on that..if it's a carerra i'd keep the m5

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is a basic 996 not turbo. thx for the comments. i am on the fence. my drive is 20 min each way and since i have a 540 coming my way (auto) i would have a cruising sedan and i thought a 996 would give me a sports car combo

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
A 540 and a 996 is not a bad combination. It's just what price you want for the M5. To be honest although it's a friend the swap is with I wouldn't let the car go cheaply. You should know how much both cars are worth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my thought is my m5 w/ s2pkg is roughtly 50-55k and the 996 is roughly 40-45k. so my thought was 5-10k gap.

separate question ....if we swap do we still have to pay the entire taxes on both cars or just the difference?

Dept of motor vehicles probably will charge something for title swap but was wondering if the don't care if there was a swap

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i need a third car. that is an automatic and low cost and our nanny can drive the kids around. so the 540 is perfect - 36k miles and 2000 in perfect shape and im getting it for $20k.

so my car i think i want a less practical, just me and my sunglasses and go to work car. m5 is great, but 98% of the time im lugging 2 extra doors and 1000 lbs.

i miss the 993 smaller go cart feel.

i may just sell teh m5 later and buy a new 997 which i love but 90-100k is kind of steep considering i can get 90% of that for 50% of the costs in a 996. at least that is my thought today

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
So Cal M5 said:
Why don't you keep the M5 and trade the 540 later? I don't know if I could go from an S2 M5 to a 540.
My thoughts exactly. M5+995 >>> 540+996, anytime.

Another point to consider, your S2 M5 has WAY more torque than either the 996 or the 540. If you eventually own 540+996, you'll miss the S2 M5 torque like you would not believe. :crying: :crying: Hate to see you regret that in the future.

Once you have an M5, only the Porsche turbo can scratch your itch. A very sad fact in life.

Choose wisely and see you on Rennlist sometimes.

CP

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just went from '00 996 C4 to '03 M5, both stock and I prefer the M5. The 996's interior is really shoddy for such an expensive car, the suspension is far too stiff for fast & slow road work, its build quality isn't as solid (i.e. compare the door closing) and I prefer the V8's torque. The 996 does sound very nice even with stock exhaust, though, making the M5 seem a tad muted.

If I took my car to the track, I would prefer a 996, but for commuting and enthusiastic road driving, the more supple BMW is a better tool.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if i only could have one car it would be the m5 no doubt. only thing is i am already going to get a 540 so i thought - lets get a smaller sports car. so 996 i think the good, except the wife thinks it is as safe as a motorcycle so she is pushing for a 3 series....

oh well

i think i will end up w/ the m5 and the 540 after all this bcause keeping the wife happy is key....since she didn't flinch when i told her ..."honey i do need a 470 hp car to go to work".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts