BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I first start the engine, what are the driving settings? P400? EDC? are they reset every time I stop and start the engine?

also, it seems like I can set the driving settings when I press the M button but is there a way to set driving settings when M button is not pressed?

I want to drive in P400 for comfort and when I press the M button, I want it to change to P500 Sport.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my car, the default on starting is P400, EDC comfort, S3, DSC on, active seats off. All those settings and more can be assigned to the M button to what you want when you push the button. Done through iDrive. In my car, power goes to P500 sport, EDC Sport, DSC to MDM and trans to S5, active seats to sport. All programmable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my car, the default on starting is P400, EDC comfort, S3, DSC on, active seats off. All those settings and more can be assigned to the M button to what you want when you push the button. Done through iDrive. In my car, power goes to P500 sport, EDC Sport, DSC to MDM and trans to S5, active seats to sport. All programmable.
wow how and where do you program buttons? when I start the engine, where do I check the default driving settings? just pressing the iDrive knob (into the console) takes me to the MDrive menu which is only applicable when M mode is activated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As far as I know you can't change the defaults. The M mode settings in iDrive allow you to set what you want to change when the M button is pressed. I manually change power to P500 and trans to S5 for normal driving, each time I start the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As far as I know you can't change the defaults. The M mode settings in iDrive allow you to set what you want to change when the M button is pressed. I manually change power to P500 and trans to S5 for normal driving, each time I start the car.
oh so you just press the EDC. how many LEDs?

what about power button? do you keep it on as well?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It will default to starting in P400 and D1. You can program the M-button as above. If you want to change the manual drivelogic setting it will remember this in "normal" mode - e.g. if you want it in S5 when you have it in manual mode it will revert to that each time without having to press the button. Just tapping the selector lever to the right or using a paddleshift will put it into manual mode.

I drive mine in S5 all of the time and adjust the EDC between comfort and standard depending on whether I'm in town or not. Sport EDC is rarely useful unless the surface is very good. Likewise I switch between power on and off depending on circumstances. I only use the M button to activate P500S and MDM if I'm on a decent twisty bit of road. You can of course turn the DSC off altogether quite easily by pressing the button. I have reserved that for use off the public road.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
What is the difference between P500 and P550S in terms of throttle response or feel? My M button is currently setup as P500S but wondering if there were any reasons to set it to just P500...

·
Registered
735 Posts
I really wish there was a way to adjust the settings the car starts with. I find my M button gets "wasted" just getting my car to the daily driver settings (P500S, EDC Normal, S5, MDM) and then I can't quickly go to full brutal mode (S6, DSC off, EDC Sport) when necessary. I'm too risk averse to drive around with DSC Off all the time.

Anyone else have this issue?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts