BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my E60 M5 (06, super low miles) two years ago, and bought a e90 m3 instead. Currently, I have been 'lusting' for another m5 as my daily in my home state, as I will be bringing the e90 with me to another state for work.

Seeing the prices of the F10 drop to around 35k range for a great example, I am starting the old debate on F10 m5 or another E60 m5 (there is one for around 35k that I have my eyes on with super low miles). I will be dailying the cars.

Currently, my mind tells me to go with F10 because I love its looks (not that e60 looks bad), its modern, it has torque, tunable, and has B&O. But I keep on having afterthoughts thinking am I missing out on great sound and that SMG (yes I actually like the brutal shifts of the SMG), but other than that I would go for the F10 for sure.

So, I have a few questions to ask. Is the F10 m5 really a boat as the internet says, or are they just all clowns? Is there a way to make the exhaust a low grumble like AMG's or 550i's (my preferred V8 tone)? Is the steering really that numb? How bad is the traction stock, and maybe after tuned to 700 WHP? Is it as boring as people say it is?

Thanks, I am having trouble deciding because I feel like I am choosing between a girl who appears mature but is kinky and wild af, and a girl who is always wild (wilder than first will ever get), but gets annoying when you are not in the mood.

Or should I say FiretrUCK it, and try E63 (w212) (though I like the look and infotainment of BMW a lot more).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Traction at 700 whp is going to be an issue for pretty much any rwd car. Also the S85 can't reach that without a truckload of cash and won't hold it nearly as reliably as the V8TT cars. So if it's that big power you're after then I think you should pass up the E60. Similarly if you want that power, I would strongly consider awd. So that would be like a W212R E63 or a C7 S6. I have no first hand experience with the F10 M so someone else will have to chime in on the handling questions, etc.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My honest opinion is that if you are lusting after the F10 M5 go and get one and let us know your thoughts...E60 and F10 M5s are not apples to apples...totally different machines so there are things the F10 will never have that are great on the E60 and viceversa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No first hand knowledge on f10, but Troy has been sharing his experience with the f10’s he has, posted his views on Facebook.
He sums up the f90 and e60 are better drivers cars.
For most the f10 is a short lived stepping stone to a better experience, hence the low prices.

Personally I would not own an e60 m5 smg as a daily.
But I am not as sharp as others on this board, who have a much easier time (or patience to deal with INPA and other bmw diagnostic tools for dealing with smg

·
Registered
335 Posts
No first hand knowledge on f10, but Troy has been sharing his experience with the f10’s he has, posted his views on Facebook.
He sums up the f90 and e60 are better drivers cars.
For most the f10 is a short lived stepping stone to a better experience, hence the low prices.

Personally I would not own an e60 m5 smg as a daily.
But I am old and not as sharp as others on this board, who have a much easier time (or patience to deal with INPA and other bmw diagnostic tools
I suspect this has a lot to do with the F10’s size, weight and suspension setup but it does have big power boost (literally).

I can say though that the E60 M5 handles great and keeps up with smaller more nimbler cars easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I can attest the e60 has plenty of power to spin street tires at 80-100 on track.

Go back a few years on m5board and f10 were running mid 10 sec quarter mile with 800 hp with wide 888r tires

but after 6 months one never heard from them again, thinking bent rods.

As long as you are pointed straight you should be ok with 700 hp on new super sticky tires every year in the f10

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I need a linear throttle in my car , Troy would not sell his 6-speed f10 (not many made) to me.
Since I would hate it , throttle pick up from low speed is not predictable , lurching going on, sometimes feels like getting bumped from behind by another car

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I get the feeling that DCT cars do not age well either, suspect big repair bills down the road.
Prices for e92 , f10 always higher for 6 speed examples

·
Registered
171 Posts
I get the feeling that DCT cars do not age well either, suspect big repair bills down the road.
Prices for e92 , f10 always higher for 6 speed examples
Interesting, from all that I've seen the BMW DCT is hugely reliable. I would attribute 6spd vs DCT value differences less to reliability and more to second and third owners actively seeking out MT's and putting a premium on them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I would only buy an f10 from someone I know, since I would avoid tuned examples like the plague, apparently tunes are not sophisticated enough to reduce low rpm cylinder pressures which would avoid bent rods altogether.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
For track operation DCT have huge cooling requirements.
I have not seen Car and Driver make more than one lap with any twin power m variant without reduced power notifications.

there is a difference between track reliable and street reliable

My experience is that the e60 m5 is indisputably the most over engineered track weapon on the planet

even zl1 1LE get to dangerous oil temperatures after 25 minutes on track and have brake issues

no such thing in e60 land, tires give out way before any cooling problems

I also get twice the on track gas mileage
S85 very efficient above 5000 rpm

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I own both still
If i was dd if would be f10
If u are enthusiast and only drive occasionally and dont care about how people would percieve you then the e60 is ur choice!

·
Registered
379 Posts
For track operation DCT have huge cooling requirements.
I have not seen Car and Driver make more than one lap with any twin power m variant without reduced power notifications.

there is a difference between track reliable and street reliable

My experience is that the e60 m5 is indisputably the most over engineered track weapon on the planet

Look back to the Top Gear test of the E60 M5 - it had issues in their track tests.

·
Registered
404 Posts
or just buy mine :). e60 m5 with ESS supercharger, smg, supersprint header, x-pipe, muffler, makes over 700hp. daily driven. no issues.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Troy had some differentials go out on early 6.0 strokers no more issues with Redline 75w-140
Knowing this weakness I got a Dimple magnetic drain plug to determine my track use gear oil change interval.
No wear if maintenance is proactive.

Clarkson’s m5 May have been put through the wringer by those journalists before him or oil not changed after break in

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Regarding interior, HPDE require driving with front windows open.
Not good to have nice interior of $35,000 car get wet followed by dust when dry.

amazingly the aerodynamics of the e60 m5 are such that even a torrential downpour will not wet the rear carpets.

My favorite track day experience since everyone else goes home and I have track to myself

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The steering on f10 i find when driving around town comfort is best

Spirited driving sport works well

The problem is the f10 is so insulsted
It takes balls to reach the limit where as the e60 it gives more confidence to find it

Its suprising how quick around the cnr an f10 can go despite the weight

1 - 20 of 37 Posts