BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I sink some cash into a new tail light I just want to verify the problem. The passenger side tail is dimmer than the drivers side. I take that I need to replace the entire lens assembly. Is there anything else that could cause this that I can check before ordering the new lens. The originals are Hellas, how do Depo's fit? She is a 2001 with a 7/01 birthday.
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
My money is on a bad ground. Unplug the suspect taillight and look into the connector on the harness and taillight sides - I bet the ground is burnt. You will most likely need to replace the taillight bulb holder, the burnt pin on the harness, and possibly replace the connector housing if it's badly melted. You will not need to replace the entire assembly.

It's a common failure and your local dealer should have the correct connector housing and repair pin in stock. The only tricky part is removing the pins from the housing, for which you're supposed to use a special release tool. If you replace the connector housing (which I highly recommend and it's only a few bucks) you can break the locks for the pins and transfer them to the new housing one at a time, eliminating the need for the tool or any additional frustration.

Let me know if you need part numbers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry, I can't PM you as I do not have enough posts.

2001 - You have LCI taillights - DUH! Nevermind what I said about the bulb holder - that's for pre-LCI cars like mine - if the fault is in the LEDs and the problem is not in the connector, you'll need to replace the complete taillight or repair the internals.

Still true, however the possibility of a bad connection at the connector. Possibly corroded or burnt. Carefully remove the connector and inspect for corrosion or other damage especially on pin 8 which should be a gray and white wire. I would back probe between pins 8 and 3 with a meter and check the voltage drop compared to the driver side (pins 1 and 4 on the driver side) which should be B+. If it's the same, the resistance is in the connection at the taillight or internal to the taillight; if it's different (less on the passenger side), then the supply voltage is low, or the ground is bad. Check supply voltage at pin 6 to a known good ground (straight to the battery negative post) and also for resistance in the ground circuit between pin 3 and battery negative (should be 0 volts).

LEDs don't fail with reduced output. I'm certain it can be repaired, even if you have to dissect the taillight. Let me know what you find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts